Book 9⌇3. Is That You, Fairy Godmother?

Chapter 3 Is That You, Fairy Godmother?

-Mavis 5 Years Old

I didn't like being grounded. It wasn't fun and while everyone else got to do whatever they wanted to do; I was stuck inside my room with just my toys. Boredom set in fast and I ended up just staring up at the ceiling of my room, counting all the different lines and designs. I could see outside my window that another day had passed by and I only had one more day to stay in here.

A knock came from the door and I said, "Come in."

Arlynn came through the door with my dinner, setting it down on the side table near my bed. I looked at her once and sat up while wrapping my arms around my knees. My face turned away from hers and I remained silent when she sighed, "I'm sorry Mavis, but you need to learn to listen and you only have one more day left and then you can go play outside."

I mumbled against my leg, "Yeah...only with supervision."

She sat on the edge of my bed and rubbed my back. I wouldn't look at her, I knew I should have just listened and not talked back to my daddy, but I was just so upset after having a good afternoon with Zak and to have it end like that with my daddy yelling at him, I was just angry. She nudged me after a while and said, "You know," I lifted my chin and looked up to her, "I could talk to your dad and maybe we could ask him to take you to a park a little way down the street after tomorrow."

My eyes brightened and I smiled back, "Okay, that sounds like fun."

She nodded and then motioned to my dinner, "Why don't you eat up-" she stopped mid-sentence as I saw people walking down the hallway from the open door to my room. My daddy was leading them, followed by my grandma and grandpa. When my great grandpa stopped at the door, he caught sight of Arlynn.

"We need to move," my great grandpa said, motioning for her to follow with them.

She turned back to me and I asked, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's okay," she stood from the side of the bed and said, "eat up and get some sleep. We'll see you in the morning."

My great grandpa waited for Arlynn and when they moved closer to one another I heard him say, "...scouting party-" and just like that, they left me alone and closed the door behind me.

The smell of mac 'n cheese was just too overwhelming. I carefully grabbed the bowl and held it in my hands. Taking a few spoonful's, I enjoyed my dinner, finishing it rather quickly and setting the bowl back down. I sat with my legs hanging over the edge of the bed, looking all around the room before I sighed, "I'm so...bored!" I kicked the marble floor when I stood up and then a thought struck me, "...mostly everyone is leaving..."

"Hmm..." I walked toward the bedroom door, peering through the keyhole, and not seeing anyone coming down the hallway for a good ten minutes. When I decided that no one else would probably come this way for just a few minutes, I opened the door and slipped into the hallway. I glanced up and down the hallway before moving across to my daddy's room.

Twisting the door handle, I went right in and immediately skipped over to the bed before falling to my stomach on the floor. Lifting the covers, I saw the box was still where I left it near the head of the bed. After crawling under the bed and retrieving the box, I stood back up and sneaked out of my daddy's room before finding safety in my own. I closed the door behind me and walked over to my bookshelf.

Among the many princess fairy tale books, I set the box down and took the brass key from inside my jewelry box. Sliding the key into the lock, I lifted the lid and carefully unfolded the scarf to reveal the dark stone. I looked at it carefully for a moment, setting the key down next to the box and taking the stone into my hands. Staring at intently, I asked, "Why were you hiding under daddy's bed?"