Book 9⌇4. Bad Vampire

Chapter 4 Bad Vampire

-Mavis 10 Years Old

"Mavis hasn't shown any other sign since the day she was born," my grandma said to my daddy while I sat reading a book in the parlor, my family talking to one another. My tenth birthday passed a few weeks ago and it was my daddy that promised that I would begin to train in a bit more advanced self-defense with the rest of the adults.

I'd become very skilled with my slingshot, but as my grandpa had mentioned, don't bring a knife to a gunfight...so I assumed he meant I'd learn how to use deadlier, long-ranged weapons like everyone else. It was a great basic play toy to use, but I was more interested in when Zak would train with my grandma and Arlynn. He fought with such fluidity that I was awestruck by the way he maneuvered around my grandma's blood magic.

My daddy sat down on the couch across from my grandma and replied, "It's there though...we all saw it and it's only a matter of time before it's no longer dormant."

"It's only dangerous if she's not taught to control it," Orion and Erebus had stopped by for a visit, each sitting in their own chairs while I continued to flip through the pages of my book. I leaned back against the armrest of the chair, curdled up with my legs beside me as I overheard them talking about me.

"How can she be taught if it's dormant?" My daddy asked with concern, a tone raising in his voice when he glanced at me. It wasn't really a secret as it had been brought up often about how I had used blood magic as a baby, yet I don't remember anything. I don't even know how I could have done that when I don't have the first clue how to manipulate it the way everyone else does who possess that trait.

Erebus mentioned, "Gage had a similar phenomenon happen to him when he was a few months old, able to control it on his own by the time he was only four. The destruction though...the sheer force of his control was devastating."

"He was the first of his kind though," Orion reminded his father and said, "if he had something to compare himself to, maybe it wouldn't have ended the way it had with Theo."

Zak walked in through the parlor doors and I lifted my gaze to meet with his. He smiled at me as he approached, stopping to ask, "What book do you have your nose in now?"

"A mystery," I replied, flipping the next page.

"They're talking about you again?" He arched a brow, already knowing the answer to his question.

I rolled my eyes and replied, "Like I'm not even here."

"Of course," he laughed and moved away from me, walking toward the group discussion, and coming to a halt beside the couch my daddy sat on. My grandma looked up at him, furrowing her brows before returning her attention to Orion.

Everyone says that my blood magic must be dormant at this point since even when my grandma and daddy tried to have me do an amazingly simple call on it, I didn't understand what they meant. I didn't feel what they felt, an inherited connection that I couldn't find, but they assumed I must have it. They were very confused considering that happened when I was born, but they shrugged it off and never thought much about it again...until now.

"You're really ready to let her start training?" Zak asked my daddy, and I curiously watched out of the corner of my eye at his reaction. He's always been protective over me, and I honestly didn't think he'd go for this when the time came.

My daddy released a sigh and replied, "It's inevitable...I'll be doing her a disservice by keeping her in the dark and not allowing her to learn how to protect herself. With everything that's happened and the uneasiness we've experienced lately, Mavis needs to be just as strong as the rest of us and able to stand on her own."