Book 9⌇9. Ashes

Chapter 9 Ashes

-Mavis 12 Years Old

"Wow..." my voice trailed off, my eyes scanning over the large castle-like palace and then I slowly turned my gaze off and all around me. As I turned around, spinning like a disk, I can hear Scáth's deep chuckle at my amazement. What had been behind us was a bridge, connecting the island this palace sat upon in the middle of a lake filled with lava fire flames. The temperature was a bit warm, but nothing too uncomfortable, my gaze finally landing on him where I just smiled. I asked, "Is this where you live? In a palace?"

He nodded his head and his reply surprised me even further, "I'm the heir to the throne."

"The Dominion Plane?" I asked while Scáth nodded in the direction of the large palace doors. It sounded like a really interesting place and by the looks of it, unlike anything on Earth I've ever seen before. He walked close to me, approaching the doors to only have them automatically open at his very presence.

"Yes," Scáth answered my question, both of us walking through the doors, "it's a bit different from the world you know, but I promise, no one will harm you here."

When we stepped a little further inside, the large doors closing behind us, I turned all around and saw so many remarkably diverse looking individuals. The guards wore dark gray and black armor however, I was a bit confused when I saw that they all had long thick tails that ended in spades, bat-like wings extending from the center of their shoulder blades. Scáth continued to show me the direction we were headed, and I asked, "What are they?"

"Oh?" Scáth glanced around and noticed exactly who I was referring to. He didn't get much of a chance to explain because thanks to his great sense of direction, we found ourselves walking through two golden doors and into what appeared to be a ballroom or throne room of some kind. I was speechless, starstruck by the sheer beauty as I continued to take everything in and only became a bit nervous when I saw two individuals rise from the throne, leaving their chairs behind as they took a few steps down off the platform.

I remained silent, Scáth walking with me up to the woman and the man. They appeared like us, normal so to speak, but the second the woman smiled and embraced Scáth, I could see the fangs slip between her lips as she said, "Welcome back, son."

"Mom," he hugged her tightly, realizing that these were his parents. He turned to his father and shook his hand, "Dad," he paused a moment and then turned to me and introduced them to me, "this is Mavis."

The man regarded me for a moment, his eyes searching over me before he stated, "Hello, my name is Keegan," he motioned to the woman beside him and said, "this is my wife, Adrasteia."

Scáth informed me, "They are the rulers of the Dominion Plane, the King, and Queen."

Adrasteia offered me a warm smile and noted, "So, this is the Mavis you've been talking about so much," she walked toward me and said, "you're positively adorable."

"Thank you," I returned her smile with one of my own, Keegan keeping his distance and eyeing his son with an unusually long look. Keegan motioned for his son to step aside with him, leaving me with Adrasteia, my own voice carrying out, "You're so beautiful."

Adrasteia giggled lightly and said, "Well thank you, you're so precious! I must ask, who exactly are your parents little one, and do they even know that you're here?"

I shook my head, the smile that was once on my face falling instantly. When I spoke, it was quiet, "No...my dad and I had a fight because he accused Scáth of being dangerous...that he's not really my friend."

Adrasteia frowned at this, leaning over so we were eye level as she replied, "You know, Scáth is incredibly special. He has the kindest heart I've ever known and the fact you've been such a good friend to him only further proves how unique your bond is. You're a hunter, yet you don't act like one I've ever seen before, so very caring and thoughtful to accept the unknown."