Book 9⌇5. Wicked Blood

Chapter 5 Wicked Blood

-Mavis 10 Years Old

"Daddy, I don't know how to do that," I replied to him while we both stood together down under the mansion in the training room that had been designed for any type of encounter. My daddy decided that it would be best if he began to teach me how to control my blood magic now that it surfaced...especially the way it had in the middle of the streets.

My gaze shifted and fell to the ground before I whispered, "I don't want to do that again."

"You didn't do anything wrong baby girl," my daddy walked toward me, closing the distance while kneeling down and wrapping his arms around me. There were no tears, but I wrapped my own arms around his neck and my face buried itself into the top of his shoulder. He had told me that I didn't do anything bad, that what I did was natural and instinctive. It shouldn't be something that I should be afraid of and reject but hold that warmth close to my heart and fine-tune its abilities.

It was evil though. The way I killed the pureblood without even having to lift a finger. His face, I'll never forget the way he struggled to hold onto his life as I merely waited for his life to flicker out. I wasn't sorry at the moment because he had killed that woman, taking the child's mother away from it and going after the helpless baby next. However, I regret it now because I'd never taken a life up until this point...

...okay, we aren't counting the squirrel...but that was to test out my slingshot.

My daddy released his arms from around my back, motioning me to one of the benches along the walls near the rack of weapons. When we reached the bench, I sat down quietly as he sat beside me. The toe of my boot kicking into the marble, moving it back and forth as I sighed, understanding now what everyone else must have thought about when I was born. If I'd done something like that, I'd be afraid also.

"I didn't know how to control my blood magic when I was young just like you," my daddy began to tell me a story. I lifted my gaze to meet with his. He took my right hand into his and held it as he continued, "I was told I was evil, that all I did was hurt people and that I'd never be anything more than a monster," his gaze shifted and he asked, "do you know what I did?"

I shook my head as he continued, "I believed in what they told me, and I became exactly what they all feared I would. Instead of teaching me, they isolated and rejected me," a small smile made its way onto his lips and I was reassured when he said, "I want you to know that I love you very much baby girl and I want to give you everything I didn't have. I want you to take control of this incredibly beautiful and unique gift that makes you different, strong in a quite different way from the rest of the vampires."

"It's destructive," my voice lowered and sadness filled my eyes at the memory of seeing the pureblood's head roll off his shoulders and land on the ground, "I'll hurt someone else, maybe someone I don't want to...someone I love and want to protect."

"But you did just that," he squeezed my hand and reminded me, "you saved the life of a human that couldn't protect itself, that had no defense of its own except for the biggest heart residing within you."

It did feel good knowing I helped, though I wish the mother didn't have to die, I wish I could have done something about that as well. My daddy sees the sorrow in my eyes, the small amount of doubt that crosses my features. "Here," he takes hold of my wrist, rolling it around until my palm is facing upward and open. I watch as he brings my hand closer to him and I hold my breath for a second, wondering what he is doing.

I wince and a soft cry leaves my lips when he drags his nail across the palm of my hand and breaks open my skin. When I go to pull my hand back, wondering why he would ever hurt me like that, he holds my wrist still in his grasp. My bottom lip trembles when I glance up to see his eyes have shifted to a black rose and I wait with confusion shining in my eyes. He lifts his other hand and I become awestruck when I see the wound slowly sealing shut, the blood interlacing and locking to create a firm and stable barrier.