Book 9⌇11. Isolating Grounds

Chapter 11 Isolating Grounds

-Mavis 14 Years Old

It had been two years since the fire.

My dad had bought land in Hollywood, California, my great grandpa reminiscing on the days of old when he used to live here an awfully long time ago. It was a city they knew, and it would be easier for them to build security...which had proven very good considering there hadn't been any direct attacks against our coven. There were squabbles in the city, usually between vampires attacking werewolves and vice versa however, over the past two years, we'd seen an increase in humans aiding the werewolves and helping take out the vampires who assaulted them.

As I sat on the bench beneath my windowsill, my legs drawn up to my chest, I thought about how vicious of a cycle this world has thrown itself into. Werewolves get upset because vampires are still 'seen' as the rulers of the world, having the final say over human judgement...then the werewolves get angry all over again and start killing without any direction against the nearest vampire coven. The vampires put them back in their place when my dad orders a mass coordinated attack and the werewolves go back into hiding...

...it's on repeat and I'm sick of hearing the same record.

Right now, my gaze was transfixed on the latest of the scuffles going on in the city and this one also included the humans and hunters. More hunters had decided to shift back to align with the vampires, as their vampiric gene called them to save their own kind... the only reason they had a clear cut side choice now, vampires weren't going after or killing humans. The rogues were the wild cards and the hunters had every right to kill them...in fact, any of the supernatural species had that right as it only caused further chaos.

Now that I had complete control over my actions, every weapon that Zak had placed in front of me, I'd been able to master it within a few days...I was allowed out on my own but not for more than an hour. My dad was still very protective over me, especially over the fire raid attack back when I was twelve. Even though I was fourteen, my mind was clearly ahead of me, thinking strategically about many things before I acted upon my thoughts.

The fighting was growing wider in span, taking on portions of the city as it appeared this little scuffle was getting wildly out of control. My gaze flickered out to the nearby elementary human school that wasn't more than a half a mile up the road from where death was leaving bodies in its wake.

I lifted from my seat, unlocking the hinge on my windows, and pushing them open. The breeze was harsher this afternoon, the sun landing on my skin the second I stepped up onto the windowsill. My dark hair had grown down to my mid back, flying freely as the wind caught the strands and played with them. My eyes searched the ground beneath me, no one lingering around before I made my final decision.

Those children have no idea what's coming their way and I won't have this bickering battle include innocent beings as collateral damage.

I pushed off the windowsill, falling the three stories from my bedroom window and landing on the ground while bending my knees to help absorb the impact. After I hit the ground, I sprinted fast, jumping, and vaulting over the dark iron gate, the sidewalk beneath my boots. Taking off across the street and weaving through the back streets to reach the school, I finally came into the clearing when I saw its small bell tower rise above the trees lining the fence.

It only took me a few more seconds before I reached that fence and ran to the very front gate. My breathing returned to normal as I walked through the open gate, noticing younger children playing with toys in the play yard, an adult watching five to six children on their own. They were startled the second they saw the frantic look on my face, but I had to push back my feelings and walk calmly up to the front door.