Book 9⌇16. By The Light of The Moon

Chapter 16 By The Light of The Moon

-Mavis 16 Years Old

It hurt...

Every cell in my body felt like it was being pierced with tiny little needles. It scared me because I kept reiterating in my mind, trying to reassure myself that...I'm not a vampire, I knew what they did to me, I knew that was liquid silver, but it shouldn't have affected me the way it was.

I'm not a vampire.

Tears formed beneath my closed lids, hearing voices around me. I felt someone grab my ankles, the feeling of the ground moving out beneath me while I was dragged across the patches of exposed soil among the grass. It was cold against my body, the Earth, moving on its own and it's almost like I could feel every small shift.

Everything...numb, almost like a poison coursing through my bloodstream. It made me weaker than I've ever felt in my life, helpless that I couldn't protect myself now.

One of the voices spoke out and said, "See...she's not a damn vampire, just a hunter..."

I recognized Alpha Tristan's voice again, "I saw her use blood magic, so keep injecting her with the blood thinner until you're told otherwise. Stop the next course of the undiluted liquid silver and take her further down the line."

It was quiet for the most part, trying to keep a grasp on reality. Voices would come in and out of focus, my senses playing tricks with me because I thought I heard the voices of my family. They weren't there though, when I slowly opened my eyelids, it took a while for me to completely focus on my surroundings.

The first thing I noticed was the large bonfire in the center of many tents and a makeshift encampment throughout the clearing. I was laying on my side, the rope around my wrists and ankles biting into my skin as I noticed that my boots and socks had been removed. People walked by, but they didn't pay any attention to me, more than likely believing I was still out.

I used this to my advantage, taking my time for my vision to focus clearly. Everything hurt, my accelerated healing dwindled down, finding it hard to do anything other than move my blood along its veins even slightly faster than normal.

Blood thinner...my father had mentioned this along with Zak, that there are ways to hinder the use of blood magic. Many of my family members had reminded me of this threat on different occasions, but I didn't realize how much of an effect it would have. Surprisingly though, by merely focusing on the pain, my blood moved closer to the wound site, very slowly taking the edge off, and ebbing away from the discomfort.

They didn't tell me I could do that...learning I must discover some things on my own, while others are handed to me.

It was still a warm flicker in my chest, whatever they had done wasn't entirely affecting my connection once they stopped injecting me with the liquid silver. I held onto it, this very connection establishing my lifeline.

"She's waking up," I hadn't noticed when someone had crouched down near where my head rested on the grass. When I saw their shadow, I tried to tilt my head and see more clearly.

"Why is she like that," it was a woman's voice coming from an area behind me.

"She sides with the vampires," Alpha Tristan's remark was short and to the point.

That angered me...

It was a strain and my voice were quiet when I returned back, "I said...I won't choose any side...don't twist my words for your own gain."

There were a few gasps and inhaled breaths, a slight buzz taking effect within the encampment. Pain shot through me again when Alpha Tristan's hand wrapped around my upper arm and he jerked me hard to my feet. I lost my balance as my ankles were tied, my vision crossing from the sudden change in position as the blood rushed from my head.