Book 9⌇19. Common Love

Chapter 19 Common Love

-Mavis 17 Years Old

I can't believe my eyes, the wind whipping around me as Scáth stood at my side. His demonic features had surfaced forward while his wings angled back, ready to take off the second I made my move. I couldn't though, trapped within my mind as my body wouldn't move no matter how much I wanted it to.

I'd never seen so much evil or hatred, the very core of their existence was being put on display.

In this type of light...

...we're all monsters. We are nothing but what every last human on this world fears, both supernatural species thrown into a melting pot that cannot coexist.

It wasn't just my father's coven...hundreds of vampires littered the desolate battlefield as they went at the throats of the equally impressive numbers of the werewolves. I'd never seen so many of the species in one place together, it was something entirely different. Some of them have shifted, snapping their vicious jaws at the vampire they were fighting while others remained in human form, weapons in their hands as they acted as generals.

I caught Zak out of the corner of my eye, sliding on his knees as he sliced his dual blades throw the legs of the two werewolves that ran at him, only to flip off of the ground and continue running to his next target. Alongside another group, my father had the control of his blood magic, a spike formed within the air as it aimed for a target on the ground. Just as one of the wolves lunged of him, he backflipped and I gasped when he landed on the flat blade of the scythe Ryker wielded. He drew it close to his side before he caught my father's gaze, spinning around before launching him into the air and seeking out the target.

As my father threw the spike and it tapered off into many smaller blades plunging down toward the Earth, it caught the backs of the wolves running parallel to the ground. They fell, many others regrouping before they sought out another weak point.

I noticed many of the blood magic users hardly drawing on their full potential, afraid to perhaps lose control and kill their own in the chaos. It was controlled chaos on their end...but chaos, nonetheless.

Many coven leaders engaged with the wolves, sending out commands to their members, and in coordinated attacks on both sides, many jaws clamped down on the vampires' legs, dragging them down to the ground where a pack would easily finish off the fighting vampires. Vampires' fangs ripped through the fur and flesh of the wolves that lingered too far from their formation, leading them down a path to their death.

My grandpa fought alongside my grandma, using their strengths as a single unit and when Zak approached a group of wolves, many others joined the ranks and he found himself quickly outnumbered. My grandma morphed a blood disk from the bloodshed on the battlefield and when Zak leaped up into the air, she lifted it and he landed on the disk. After pushing off of it, he soared over their heads, landing behind them, and distracting away from the next attacker.

Rainier was quicker than any hunter I had ever seen, his twin chain sickles releasing from his hold as he twisted the chains, wrapping them around the group of wolves and trapping them together. When they glanced up, my father had created a bloody rainstorm, ending their lives very quickly. From the far side of the field, I saw vampires being plowed down by larger wolves, realizing now that they must be the Alphas among their packs, leading them to a victory they thought easily handed to them.

Distractions occurred and many would fall back just to come at the enemy again with different tactics.

Scáth asked in a voice I hardly recognized, "Mavis?"