Book 9⌇Epilogue: So It Ends How It Began

Epilogue So It Ends How It Began

-Maverick

My little girl...

...how much you have grown.

I stood outside the back doorstep to the mansion, my daughter sitting beneath the tree shielded by the leaves as the sun glinted down from the sky. Mavis was writing in her journal again; a week has passed since the moment our fate had all been decided for us.

She'd been holding onto everything she believed in, that the world could exist without the constant need for dominance or control, the violence having all but come to an end when an agreement had been made between Chase and me.

It was hard not to come to an understanding when we were made aware that our children had been fated to one another.

My daughter had two mates, the twin werewolf sons of Chase, the princes Cassius and Titus. It had been them all those years ago that I had almost killed when Mavis was only five and naive to the world around her. They knew she was theirs that day but decided to keep their distance due to the struggles between our species and her young age.

I will forever respect them for that.

For not forcing a claim on my daughter far sooner than she was ready for.

Now...

...she's ready for the world.

Now...

...Mavis would play the greatest role in uniting with a common ground, the love we have, and the happiness we want to see our children leave on this world.

This world isn't meant to be dominated, to be controlled by a secular force and I wish I could have listened to my little girl a lot sooner than I had. I've always marveled at how beyond her years she acts, her wisdom something I wish I had a small portion of while growing up and her kindness unwavering.

These separate lines between vampires, hunters, werewolves...they're all about to become intertwined and I believe we really can move forward with the kindness I see in our children. The simple fact that Cassius and Titus had made their stand known, willing to fight against their own blood in order to protect their mate...my daughter...it showed that their love really did stand above the need for someone to always be right while the other is wrong.

Her mates are arriving in a few minutes, Mavis wanting to spend a few moments by herself before she'd leave, starting her own life elsewhere but welcomed for visits whenever she wanted. We would always be her family, our love stronger than anything else in this world...I just want her to be happy, and now that the fighting has stopped, she's gotten her wish.

"Mavis," I called from the door, my daughter lifting her gaze from the journal. That cheerful smile made its way onto her face and I couldn't help but smile as well, her enthusiasm infectious. I waved her over and she slowly made her way across the backyard, crossing the threshold to stand just in front of me. I informed her, "Your mates are arriving now."

She nodded and replied, "I think everything is going to be alright."

I chuckled at her response, unknown territory awaiting her, but knowing she'd be well taken care of, the display on the battlefield enough for my own convincing. It occurred to me and I asked her, "Did your wish come true? The one you made for this fighting to end?"

She nudged me and giggled, "That's not what I wished for when I was five..." she paused a moment, her beaming smile warming my heart, "it did come true though...I wished to find someone who would be as nice as you and take care of me...and I was fortunate enough to find two."