Book 9⌇18. Your Move

Chapter 18 Your Move

-Mavis 17 Years Old

I'd grown cold and distant after my father had killed Tristan and his pack. When I had shaken out of my stunned shocked state, I had asked him if he recalled seeing two larger dark fur wolves, but he just shook his head and told me he didn't.

I kept thinking about it over and over again...who are they?

As the next year passed by...

...I'd done a lot of thinking.

They keep popping up throughout my life and this last time had me very confused and left me with so many questions that no one I knew of had the answers. No one did...because every time I brought up the werewolves my father would grow angry that I wouldn't let this go. It placed a tension among the coven, being told that I'm naive and I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm apparently a child in their eyes...except for my great grandpa who knew I wasn't going to be a child for much longer.

With how everything was spiraling down, I knew it would come down to me making a decision I really didn't want to, but it was inevitable, fate would lead me to its end game without me even realizing I'd made it there.

I'd been sitting in my father's office jotting something down in the newer journal I had to start over after the fire had claimed the one at our old place when Zak knocked on the door before opening it and walking right in. My father looked up from a paper he'd been signing and gathering numbers from files.

My father lifted his gaze as I did with mine when Zak halted right in front of his desk.

"What is it?" My father furrowed his brows at how Zak had barged in without so much as saying a simple hello. It was hard though...because that look, he held in his eyes was only when he was all fired up and ready to fight.

"You need to come downstairs right now..." Zak's voice trailed off and it had me very curious about what was happening. I also rose from my seat while my father had already rounded his desk and was following him outside into the hallway. As we walked down the hallway, weaving through to the main upper landing of the staircase, Zak said, "Don't do anything you're going to regret Maverick..."

"Why would I-"

My father cut himself off the second we came to the top landing and his gaze fell on the entryway. I didn't understand why he acted the way he did, furrowing my brows and stepping around to the side of the banister. I glanced over the railing and inhaled sharply...

...I recognized the two who were standing guarded by my great grandpa and my grandpa all too well from when I was a child.

"Rainier...Ryker..." my father's voice trailed off, any anger that he held for them didn't show through and instead, he appeared more confused than I'd ever seen him before. He slowly took the railing of the stairs and made his descent. Instead of following this time around, I waited up on the second floor, watching from afar as the hunters' spotted me instantly where their gaze faltered for a moment and shifted to my father as he drew closer to the bottom landing.

When he stepped down, the tension grew, their stillness casting a silence over the entire room except for my father's and Zak's footsteps as they crossed the entryway. When they came to stand a few feet away, my father regarded them, sizing them up as they held no weapons at all, they had been cast to the ground near where my grandma stood with Arlynn.

In Rainier's hand, he held a sealed letter, his silence continuing as he outstretched his hand to give the letter over to my father. When my father went to speak, the hunter just shook his head, his blonde hair moving across his face for a moment as if he wanted my father to read before he said anything. With a slight nod of his head, my father took the letter, breaking the seal and withdrawing it from the envelope.