Book 9⌇10. Raid

Chapter 10 Raid

-Mavis 12 Years Old

"What's going on?" I frantically panicked, running toward the door, Scáth running after me. I grasped the handle of the door and yelped in pain, gritting my teeth together when I drew my arm back to me. I held my closed fist against my chest, wincing at the pain.

When Scáth stopped beside me, he gave me a look before I slowly brought my closed fist away from my chest, opening my fingers and revealing a second-degree burn on the palm of my hand and the inner parts of my fingers. My hand shook slightly, fear coursing through my body as I tried to figure out what was going on.

"You can heal?" He asked me quickly and I nodded my head, already focusing my strained attention to the wound. Once he knew I'd heal myself he said, "Stay here, I'm going to see what's going on outside."

"Okay," I replied with a quiet whisper and before I knew it, Scáth had disappeared right before my eyes, leaving me alone in my room. I felt trapped, something bad was happening and I wasn't exactly sure the extent of it.

What was worse, I could hear my dad yelling through the walls, "MAVIS?! Where are you?!"

He had gone to check on me and I wasn't here...

...now he had no idea where I was.

"Have you seen her?" Zak asked from the far off distance, their yelling reaching through the walls and all I wanted to do was cry back out to them however, because of what happened when I grabbed the door handle, I refrained from doing so. I trusted Scáth and needed him to tell me what was happening before I made the wrong choice.

"No, she's not in any of the wings," it was my grandpa's distressed voice that answered Zak, their calls becoming louder and filled with more pain and hurt.

"Mavis!!" My grandma called for me, the sounds of creaking becoming clearer. I lifted my eyes and searched the room, small cracks forming in the ceiling. There were loud crashes from the outside of my door, almost as if walls were being knocked down. The air became thicker, the heat growing much hotter than when I was in the Dominion Plane.

A panicked call startled me, and my grandma yelled, "We need to evacuate!"

"I'm not leaving my daughter to die here!" My dad called back to her, their voices fading away in the distance. I could hear the hurt, everything tearing at my dad's heart as I was nowhere to be found, and even when I did part my lips to speak, to call for them, I coughed. When I glanced down at my bedroom floor, black smoke had begun to hover above the ground, seeping beneath the door crack before steadily rising.

"Your people need you!" My grandma was the one who had to make this decision because my dad was only thinking with his emotions. I inhaled more smoke and began to cough sporadically, reaching my arm out to one of the walls while my hand touched its surface.

Scáth...where are you?

I staggered toward my bedroom window, raising my hand up to cover my mouth as I coughed harder. When I glanced outside of the window, I saw many of the vampires standing outside, the sun still down behind the horizon. My eyes widened when I saw my dad being restrained by my grandpa and great grandpa, both of them dragging him out the front doors while he continued to fight back with them.

He yelled, "No!"

My vision became very hazy, my coughing becoming weaker as the smoke filled my lungs. In the next second, I lost balance and fell backward, but I didn't hit the floor. Scáth exclaimed, "Mavis!" When he caught me in his arms, lifting me into them as I weakly glanced up to see his electric blue and bloody red irises. A deep warmth surrounded me, spreading through my entire body as I slowly blinked to keep my eyelids open.