02. Something About You

"I've run into you like five times over the last week, this has to be a sign," I announced as I dropped my surfboard onto the sand.

"A sign that I need to get a restraining order," golden eyes responded with a smirk.

Like every other time I had seen him, golden eyes was sat against the same large rock, writing in the same notebook that he always seemed to have with him; but this time he was shirtless, and his body did not deceive his face. He'd originally had earphones in, but upon my arrival he had removed them both.

I chuckled at his comment, "maybe I'm the one who needs the restraining order," I spoke, keeping my eyes diverted from his naked torso. "I mean you turn up out of the blue, and whenever I come to surf you're just sat here, taking notes, watching me," I argued, smiling as golden eyes raised an eyebrow.

"Crap," he frowned, "you caught me."

"I knew it."

A comfortable silence fell upon us both as I attached the surfboard leash to my ankle again. Golden eyes got back to writing, but he kept his earphones out.

I grabbed my board after attaching the leash and dusted the sand from my hands. "So, just to make sure you're not a stalker I think you should tell me something about yourself," I spoke again, ending the silence as golden eyes turned to look at me again.

"Wait, you don't actually think I'm a stalker do you?"

"Maybe a little bit."

Golden eyes frowned again, "what do you want to know?" he asked. I shrugged my shoulders in response, I wanted to know anything. "My name's Aaron."

"Aaron? Yep, that's definitely proof that you're not a stalker," I laughed as I walked towards the seas edge. "I'm Caleb by the way."

When I finished surfing, golden eyes- sorry, Aaron- was gone.

--

The second day of school fell on a Friday- a two day school week, that was seen as a win in my books.

"Caleb, make sure you meet us here this afternoon," my 14-year-old sister, Emily, announced as we walked towards the school building- which resembled a prison from the outside, all high concrete walls and no greenery in sight.

"I told you I would, and when have I ever let you down?" I questioned.

Evan- my brother and Emily's twin- decided now was the perfect time to say, "you left us in McDonalds yesterday."

"But I came back for you, and that's what counts," I said.

It was at that moment that Aaron appeared across the courtyard, walking towards the school with Lindy attached to his hand. Apparently I had been staring for too long.

"Is that Aaron?" Emily asked, following my gaze.

"It looks like it," I answered, pretending this was my first time seeing him.

"Shit, does he have a girlfriend?" it was Evan this time.

"Language," I hissed, ignoring his question.

Over the summer, Aaron and I had never officially told anyone that we had something going on, but my younger siblings were too smart and observant for their own goods; they had practically picked up on whatever was going on between us the first time they had met him.

Emily turned to look at me again, ignoring Aaron. "You could do better anyway," she told me simply with a shrug of her shoulders. And then the bell rang.