25. Finding Aaron

25. Finding Aaron

- Aaron's POV -

"I'm gay."

Silence. The world didn't implode following those words.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. No, I didn't look any different. Yes, I felt completely different. I couldn't pick out what had changed; I was still the same as I'd been before I admitted it.

"I'm gay." This time I said it with more confidence.

"I'm gay." More!

"I'm gay. I'm gay. I'm gay!"

A knock sounded on my bedroom door, and all of my confidence left with it. "Aaron," my step-mom, Angie's, voice drifted through. "Your dad and I-," she pushed the door open, poking her head around the side, "-are going out for dinner. We were wondering if you wanted to join us?"

"No thanks," I answered, looking at her through the mirror too.

"Are you sure? I think he was hoping the two of you would get the chance to discuss colleges, and possible football scholarships?" Angie continued, adding the last part as if it was going to change my mind.

Again, I shook my head. "I'm meeting up with Jorge," I spoke.

The disappointment on Angie's face was slight, she knew how to cover it up well. "Fine, but tomorrow you'll have dinner with us - as a family?" she asked, looking hopeful once more.

"Fine. Tomorrow."

Angie nodded, a smile on her face. It was hard to dislike her, yet I managed. My dad's too-young girlfriend, only seven years older than me. "Right, we're heading off then," she finished, backing out of my room. "Have fun with Jorge!"

The door slid to a close behind her.

"I'm gay," I tried again, quieter. The world didn't implode.

-

The air blew cold as I waited outside Lindy's place, my hands stuffed in my pockets.

We hadn't spoken since Wednesday, and now - on Saturday - I intended to confess the rest. Lindy didn't know what I was going to hit her with, yet she agreed to meet me anyway; I'd just told her I had more to tell her, to add onto my main confession.

The door to Lindy's opened, and out she came. "Hey," she spoke, but her voice didn't have it usual chipper tone.

"Hi," I replied. "Thanks for agreeing to meet me."

Lindy nodded, biting on her lower lip lightly. Her arms were cross, and she expressed close to no emotion. The pair of us began to walk in silence, heading to nowhere in particular, yet in the same direction.

"How have you been, y-you know, over the last few days?" she asked.

"Good. Better." We continued, the silence was awful. "And you? How have you been?"

She nodded again, her dark curls bobbing with her. "I'm fine, Aaron. Thanks." We turned onto a busier street, one lined with tiny cafes and hipster restaurants. "So, what was it that you wanted to tell me?" Lindy asked.

"Do you want coffee, on me?"

"Sure."

I turned into the closest cafe, and Lindy followed.

              Now the awkward silence still lingered, but we were sat at a table.

Lindy stared down at her frothy latte, picking at the polish on her nails as she did so. "Are you going to tell me then?" she asked. Part of me was grateful, the silence was making the situation so much worse.