27. Slow...

27. Slow...

- Aaron's POV -

It's not that I expected things to go back to how they'd been over the summer, or even how they'd been at the beginning of the summer - before we became anything more than just friends. I'd just expected for things to be slightly less awkward.

Caleb and I had driven to our current location – a small, inexpensive restaurant – in complete silence. The drive had been short, only a few minutes away from the overgrown park we'd first gone to.

We even sat in silence once we'd arrived, only talking to the server when he came to take our order. A steak for me, medium rare, and a burger for Caleb, with all of the toppings.

After we'd ordered Caleb excused himself to the restroom, and when he came back he had his phone in hand and texted until our food arrived.

"Mmm," Caleb groaned, biting into his southern fried chicken burger.

I shook my head, smiling at Caleb. "Really?" a small laugh slipped through my lips.

"So damn good," Caleb grumbled, trying cover his blush up with confidence.

I continued to stare at him, still grinning from ear-to-ear. Caleb's blush darkened as he looked down at his plate, shoving a couple of fries into his mouth.

"Stop staring at me like that," he mumbled.

"Like what?" I asked, eating one of my own fries and averting my eyes from Caleb.

Caleb looked back at me, "like I'm a puppy or something."

"You are pretty adorable."

The blush spread down his neck, painting his skin red. "Stop it," Caleb said, eating a few more French fries. I couldn't look away. "Oh my God, stop staring at me like that Aaron," he asked, and if it wasn't for the giggle punctuating his sentence I would've taken him seriously.

"Alright, alright." I raised my hands in surrender and picked up my knife and fork. "I'll stop staring and start eating."

"We're supposed to be talking."

"How can we talk when you're moaning into your food, Caleb?" I asked, and Caleb looked down again. "Fine, let's talk," I finally gave up, freeing Caleb from his slightly cute embarrassment.

Caleb put his burger down and leant back in his chair. "What were you expecting to come from today?" he asked; he sounded like Jennifer.

I continued to cut my steak, looking down at that instead of up and at Caleb. "An understanding," I answered, a completely vague response. Caleb looked at me, as if urging me to expand my answer. I shrugged, attempting to look nonchalant, "I want to know where we stand."

"Where we stand?" Caleb repeated.

"You know, what your thoughts are of me?" I said, 'if there's ever a chance for us again,' was what I didn't add. Caleb stared at me, putting his burger down. "You know how I feel about you, and other than not regretting the kiss-," Caleb's blush returned, "- I don't know anything."

"My thoughts change every day," Caleb spoke.

I put my knife and fork down. "Really?"

"Yeah," Caleb nodded. "Sometimes I think of the time we spent together, the time we could spend together. But that doesn't stop me from thinking about what's already happened between us." Caleb sat back, his meal no longer on his mind. "Aaron, you ruined me. I get that you were battling with a lot, and that's the only reason that I'm here with you now, but it's going to take time for me to trust you again," he spoke, his voice soft.