29. Peace At Last

29. Peace At Last

TWO WEEKS LATER...

- Aaron's POV -

"So Aaron, how have you been?"

I looked at Jennifer, a soft smile still lingering on my lips. "I've been good, really good in fact," I answered. Last week I'd said something similar, but this time if felt even more true.

"That's great, Aaron." She didn't even make a note. "Has anything changed since last week?"

"Well-," I began, thinking of the right things to say.

My dad was beginning to accept the idea surrounding my sexuality - finally. He still never looked at me quite right or made comments about us 'all be men here', but he'd started asking me about scholarships again and discussing some of the things that we used to.

And I'd come out to some of my friends, par Jorge. Despite the initial shock, none of them seemed to care, at least not that much. All in all, it was a bit underwhelming.

But Caleb was where the real improvements lay.

We spoke properly after I came out to Angie and my dad, and we talked about everything. For hours we sat on his bed, identifying our boundaries. And then we fell asleep together, in a tiny twin-sized bed with barely enough room for one person, let alone two. Still, it worked, and when we woke up everything just felt...easier.

A week later it seemed like we'd never even parted - expect for in the places that it mattered. I appreciated Caleb way more than I had done before, and we cherished every single moment together.

"My dad's coming to my next game," I said, it was the only thing I could think to say, "after he promised not to attend one ever again."

Jennifer nodded, still not writing. "And that's a good thing?"

"A great thing. Sure, I don't always get on with him, but I still like having him 'round. I just wanted him to like having me around too.

This time she noted something down briefly. Jennifer crossed her leg over the other, "so, is there anything specific you'd like to discuss today?"

"I think I want to take Caleb to meet my parents tonight," I announced.

"Do you feel ready to do that?" Jennifer asked, the look of a therapist on her face - that perfectly unbiased look. Her pen was at the ready as she waited for me to respond.

I shrugged. "I don't know." I was still so happy, but the nerves surrounding this idea appeared to. "Part of me feels ready. Angie wants to meet him, and he wants to meet Bella," we had talked about them both before. "I think it would give us more freedom, and maybe dad will change his mind about the whole thing after he's met him.

"It's just - his family knows about me," 'again', "and I know that Bella will love him."

Once she'd finished writing, Jennifer looked up at me. "I know this isn't necessarily what you want to think about, but you need to consider the worst-case scenario."

"And I have. My dad didn't kick me out when I told him that I'm gay, and I doubt that will change just because he's been given proof. The worse thing that can happens is either my family won't get on with Caleb, or vice versa."

Jennifer nodded, "you seem to have thought this through." She put her book aside. "If you think it's time for them to meet, I think that you should go for it."

"I think that I will."

-

Therapy ended, and work began.