19. Normality

19. Normality

A week had passed since Aaron had returned, and I'd last spoken to him.

Things were finally beginning to get back to normal, if it could really be considered normal.

Aaron had yet to return to school, but Lindy was finally beginning to get over her and Aaron's breakup – she'd managed to stop blaming herself, after lots of convincing from Noelle, Kasim, and I. Also, I'd been texting Eli again, and we'd been on the lunch date that he suggested.

And finally, I'd barely been thinking about Aaron's return to school, let alone dreading it. Things just seemed to be going smoothly.

-

I had bumped into Lindy on the way to school, and the two of us had stopped off at a coffee shop to waste a little time.

Lindy turned to me, chewing the straw of her coffee. "Did you do the homework for Mr Dawson?"

"We had homework?" I asked, stopping in my tracks. We were only a few steps away from the school and blocking the path of other students. Lindy was grinning to herself, handing me her coffee as she pulled off her backpack.

"Don't worry, I've got you," she laughed, digging through her bag until she found a sheet that did look a little familiar.

Lindy handed me the completed sheet, putting her bag onto her back again, and taking back her coffee. "Have I ever told you that you're the best?" I asked, drinking my own coffee as I read Lindy's sheet over. She had all of the answers, and they all seemed right – at least to me they did.

"I'll never get tired of hearing it," she grinned.

Lindy and I were about to start walking again when a heavy weight hit me in the back, causing me to stumble forward. Lindy grabbed onto my arm as whoever knocked into me shouted a quick apology. When Lindy and I turned to the culprit, we saw Jorge; and to his right stood Aaron.

"Let's go find Noelle and Kas," Lindy decided, turning her head down and scurrying into the school.

              When Lindy and I found Noelle and Kasim – in their usual place, by the lockers – Noelle was crouched over her own bag, scribbling onto a sheet of paper. "What's she doing?" I asked Kasim, totally not giving any thought to Aaron...at all.

"English homework," Kasim shrugged.

Lindy turned to me with a small smile, seeming a little less enthusiastic than she had been a moment ago. "At least you're not alone," she said, and I grinned.

"Are you two ok?" Kasim asked. I was already rummaging through my own bag in search of my own English homework, still holding Lindy's as I did so. "Shit, Aaron's back," Kas spoke as Aaron and Jorge passed us in the hallway.

Noelle stopped scribbling, standing up from her crouch. "Are you ok with that, Lindy?"

"He had to come back at some point," Lindy answered with a sad smile.

"Have you spoken to him since?" Kas asked, watching Aaron disappear down the hall.

Lindy shook her head. "There's nothing else to say to him, he made his feeling clear," she replied.

"But did he tell you why?" Noelle asked.

Lindy shook her head again. "He text me an apology – which is pointless after sending a breakup text. He tried to call me, but I didn't pick up," Lindy said, and Kasim's expression look sympathetic. "Anyway, no more talking about Aaron; I'm moving on."

Noelle and I exchanged a look.

-

The day had so far gone smoothly, and now it was lunch.