21

"If you look hard enough, you can see a lion chasing a zebra." I point to the stars.

She squints. "You and I see d...different things. I only see a straight line." She looks at me. We're laying in my backyard, looking at the stars.

I chuckle. "You can at least be fanciful like I am right now."

She giggles. "Sorry. I couldn't catch on." She looks back at the stars. "You're r...right. That lion isn't too far away."

"It's too late now. All I see is a straight line."

She pouts then lays her head in my chest. I wrap my arm around her. "This is nice."

"I know." I continue looking at the stars, which are just as beautiful as her eyes. It reflects so perfectly, making her eyes to glisten. "Are you ready to meet my mom?" I ask.

"N...no."

"Don't worry. She's going to question you only because I'm her baby, but other than that, she should like you. I know she will."

"I hope so."

"Dinner is ready." My dad walks outside.

--

"So Jordyn, I heard that you're a well-mannered, educated female." My mom takes a bite of her food. "You skipped a grade?"

Jordyn nods, then looks at me.

"Cat got your tongue?" My mom asks. "You must not be blood related to Jay because that boy sure is talkative and you're really quiet." My mom adds.

"He's m..my cousin." Jordyn replies.

My mom nods to her response. "Dare told me that he has a girlfriend, but I'd never thought that she'd be quiet-"

"Mom." I interrupt.

"Let me finish." My mom gives me a look, then faces Jordyn. "And smart." She smiles.

I sigh in relief and my dad whispers in my ear. "Your mom is probably going to scare her just for fun."

"You're the first girl in months that Dare brought home and it's just more than 'activities.' You're the first girl he introduced his momma too."

Jordyn smiles. "R...really."

"Yeah, but don't get too happy about that." My mom says in a serious tone.

Jordyn smile disappears and looks at me. I shrug, just to mess with her.

My mom laughs. "I'm just playing girl. You should be happy about that because he's brought home a classy, educated female. I like that. Now, If I didn't like you, you would've been going through hell right now. I do not play about my boy."

"T...thank you."

"What's with all this stuttering. I'm not that intimidating am I?" She looks around the table.

"No." I reply. "It's a condition that she had since she first started speaking." I answer.

My mom nods in understanding. Then looks back at Jordyn. "Now for the serious questions." She pulls out a notepad filled with questions. "To see if I'll really like you. My older daughter boyfriend went through it and pass, can you do the same?" She looks at my dad. "But my husband was tougher on him."

"Ok, dinner is finish." I get up. "Come on Jordyn." I reach for her hand.

My dad laughs as Jordyn and I head to my room. "What were the serious questions."

"Something that could either pressure you or have an argument between you and my mom." I have seen those questions after my sister told me that my mom used them on her boyfriend. She has had them for a while, but I never knew that she would actually use it on me.