Chapter 8

Chapter Eight:

"So where are you taking me?" Jace asks as we walk to the restaurant. He's wearing a grey v-neck and black shorts with red and white Nikes. Unlike the party, I can't see his hair with his baseball hat on.

"A burger joint where the burgers are to die for!" I exclaim. I'm still wearing what I wore to school. Jean shorts and a loose, orange and dark blue tank top with brown sandals.

"Is that so?"

"Hmm hmm. They're wonderful."

"Well, they sound wonderful. Now hurry up, women! I'm hungry!"

"We're almost there." I laugh.

We give our orders to the front counter and get our drinks before we sit down in a booth. The theme is like one of the dinners in the 50s. With a jukebox and records on the wall.

"I'm sorry again for yesterday. I didn't mean to freak out like that. It's just she makes me so mad sometimes."

"It's ok, but if you're gonna take me out to eat every time you snap on me than don't be afraid to do it all the time." He winks then a smile soon follows. I smile back at him.

"Don't count on it happening a lot. You'll rarely see my mom."

"Well I know that you want her to talk to you. I could tell by the way you were looking at her even when she was in the house."

"Yeah someone once told me that my wishes were miracles that weren't gonna happen."

"Ouch. That person has a cold heart."

"That person would be my mother."

Our food arrives at the perfect time. I won't have to hear him give me his pity on how my home life sucks. That much is a given. I take a big bite of my burger when I see that he hasn't moved to touch his.

I drink some of my soda to help swallow my food. I look up when I still feel eyes on me.

"Are you gonna continue to creep me out or are you gonna eat?" I ask.

"Wow. You... the..." I raise my eyebrows at him and wait for him to spit out whatever he is trying to say. "You eat.."

I laugh. "Of course I eat. I am human, aren't I?"

"Well yeah, but the girls I hung out with in high school always took small bites and took a long time to eat."

"Why? Didn't their food get cold?"

"Yeah and they would just throw it away."

"What a waste."

"Yeah, but I've only seen two girls eat like they didn't care that I was around. Like they didn't have to impress me."

"Uhmm, hold on there, ass-hat. I'm not trying to impress you."

"Yeah, that's pretty obvious since you eat like a man."

"Hey, I may be a man, but I do have feelings!" I joke.

"I was kidding and its pretty clear that you're a girl. Most skinny guys don't have big tits."

"Euh, please don't say tits. That word sounds dirty."

"Fine, most skinny guys don't have big boobs. Better?"

"Yeah, except the fact that you are starring at my boobs." I put my arms up so they are covering my chest.

"I'm a guy. I can't help it."

"Well most guys are pigs. So I guess you're a pig also." I eat a fry.

"How did we get on the subject of me being a pig?"