Chapter 9

A/N:  I added somethings to the ending with Jace and Andy.

~~~~

Chapter Nine:

"You guys are doing great today. Keep this up and you guys could be done early." One of the teachers announced. We just got done running through the ceremony for the third time without getting yelled at.

Occasionally, I catch Ethan looking at me, but he hasn't tried talking to me. 

"By the looks that I am receiving from Ethan, I'd say he is not happy." Chase whispers in my ear.

I look over at Ethan. Sure enough he is glaring at us. 

"It's not like we have a choice. If we got to choose our partners, I would've picked Luke. No offense." 

"Ouch! That hurt. Is it because I'm best friends with your ex?" 

"Maybe. It could deal with the fact that you probably knew that he lied and cheated on me."

"I didn't know, I swear." he crosses his heart with his index finger.

"You're his best friend. I'm sure he told you what he was up to."

"He didn't. I wasn't at the party."

I stay silent while I think back to last Friday. I don't remember seeing him. He is usually by the drinks, trying to get people drunk. Then again, if I would have seen him, I would've known that Ethan was there. So I guess what he said what between his dad and him did happen.

"It wasn't an excuse." I whisper more to myself than Chase.

"Maybe. It still doesn't justify what he did."

"Wait. You're not even going to try and defend him?" I look at him, astonished.

"No. What he did was wrong. I'm not gonna back him up on it just because he is my best friend. My mom raised me to be better than that and treat a woman with more respect."

"Why couldn't I have dated you instead?"

"Because Ethan got to you first." 

I look up at him with wide eyes. He laughs at my reaction and winks. A sign that he was just kidding and being his flirty self.

"Maybe that's why Ethan keeps giving us dirty looks. He knows that you're gonna flirt with me."

"Maybe. Who knows." he shrugs.

"You should know. You're his best friend."

"Yeah, but lately, he's been an asshole. He isn't fun to be around anymore."

"Why is that?"

"He is always moping about how he screwed up your relationship, or drinking til' he passes out."

"That's it?" he nods. "I figured he would be taking a bunch of girls home from parties."

"Yeah, he does, but I wasn't going to say that part for your benefit."

"It's fine." We stop talking when we pass some teachers as we walk down to our seats. 

"Hey, is it bad if I am in a relationship so quickly after ending one? Hypothetically speaking." I say once we pass the teachers.

"Depends on the situation." he looks at me, knowingly.

"Mine." I grumble.

"Nah, I mean, you didn't do anything wrong. Who's to say you can't move on at your own pace?"

"It just feels wrong." Some of you may be wondering, Why the hell is she talking to her ex's best friend about this? Well, because he is probably the most wise person I talk to in the relationship department. He's watched his mom get into so many relationships, good and bad.