Who lives, who dies, who tells your story

Alec woke up early and made his way to the kitchen. He turned on the coffee maker and enjoyed the bitter smell of coffee as it spread through the small loft.

He had just poured himself a cup when his warlock boyfriend sauntered into the room.

"I'm dedicating every day to you! Domestic life was never quite my style, when you smile!!! You knock me out I fall apart! And I thought I was so smart!" He sang slightly off tune but with a passion that was matched only by the greatness that were the golden boxers he wore.

"Magnus, will you stop with the singing?" He asked with a sigh, this had been going on for several days.

Hamilton was everywhere, it was so mundane but even in the shadow world it was everywhere.

Magnus was the first to fall under its spell reminiscing stories of a time he had lived through even though he had been oceans away. It had been entirely too easy to get the others into it as well. Clary jumped on the bandwagon almost instantly, followed by Izzy when her vampire boyfriend Simon had introduced it to her. Even Jace of all people had become obsessed with the new age musical.

Alec felt alone in it he wasn't completely engulfed in it, sure, it was catchy, OK he had googled it a couple of times, and when he heard Magnus blasting it on the speakers he didn't mind entirely, its saving grace was the fact that contrary to the songs and dances, historically it was pretty accurate.

Still, when Magnus had surprised them all last week with 6 tickets to the most exclusive show in history everyone had simply exploded, except Alec. So many mundanes! 3 hours of being locked inside a theater when only the angel knew what was going in the world. MUNDANES!

He could admit however, that the show was spectacular. It sounded almost better live than it had on the album, and the way it made all his loved ones smile and beam made him a little happy, though he would never admit it.

That wasn't the problem. The problem was what came afterwards once they left the Richard Rodgers theater.

Alec had gotten dressed and left for the institute walking into the institute and was almost scared out of his skin when he heard Jace yelling out from down the hall.

"Here comes the general! Ladies and Gentlemen! Here comes the general!! The moment you've been waiting for, the pride of Mount Idris! Alec Lightwood!!"

"Jace! Stop it!" he protested hiding away from all the looks his fellow shadowhunters were giving him upon the God-awful introduction. "Those aren't even the lyrics!"

"Come on man, lighten up!" Jace smacked his arm and went back to work.

Alec stood beside him joined shortly by his sister Isabelle and Clary. "What's going on? He asked looking at the red lights on the map.

Maryse enlarged the map pinpointing an area. "There has been an increase in mundane injuries that are concerning the Clave and they have asked us to investigate. It is just on the outskirts of New Jersey so it falls in our jurisdiction. "

"Everything is legal in New jersey!" snickered Clary as Jace and Izzy laughed out loud. Alec rolled his eyes and Maryse looked so confused.

"Sure" replied Maryse not bothering to question what they could mean. "You four will form a small team and run a basic reconnaissance mission. Gather information, and report back immediately"

"We'll take their measurements, information, and then smuggle it!" proclaimed Jace where he received a proud high five from Clary.

"Will you please be serious? It's a mission guys what if it's dangerous?"

"Alec is correct to a degree, but this is only for information, Alec relax, should be a standard information run it will be fine" added Maryse with a hand on her son's shoulder.

"yeah Alec, talk less, smile more" imputed Isabel with a devilish smile.

Alec took a deep sigh, this was going to be a LONG day.

This only got worse as the day progressed. Magnus had joined them to help provide a portal to Jersey, and Simon had tagged along for some unknown reason much to Alec's disapproval.

"So, what did I miss?" Simon asked joining alongside Isabelle.

"Simon, we are engaged in a battle for our nation's very soul, can you get us out of the mess we're in?"

"Ah oooh!" responded Jace, Clary, and even Magnus in unison before bursting into laughter.

Alec rolled his eyes for maybe the hundredth time that day and was honestly surprised his eyes hadn't fallen out yet.

The time ticked on as they saw several youths arrive at the park. The hours passed as the group paid close attention to their actions.

It turned out to be just several mundane delinquents initiating each other into a pact and drinking alcohol, and although bad, it wasn't exactly concerning to shadowhunters as they left heading back home. The group called Luke who forwarded their information to the New Jersey Police department, mundanes could take care of their own mess.

At least this would be a short report, there had been no downworld activity, no demons, not even a casual mention of Valentine, it had only been a bunch of punks with nothing better to do. So easy a report the group decided they didn't even need to go back to the institute to turn in their findings. Choosing rather to cram into a corner booth at the Hunter's Moon.

Alec typed away at his phone, the others busy ordering alcohol and food, while he typed up their report and all they had seen.

Magnus slid in next to his Alexander, two drink cups in his hand, one of which he handed to the busy shadowhunter.

"Darling, why do you write like you're running out of time?" He asked with a playful snicker as the others laughed at the reference.

"Mags, because it's my job"

"Yeah big brother, take a break! You wouldn't want to burn yourself out and run into the arms of a Maria Reynolds, now would you?" Again, more laughs.

Magnus feigned insult bringing his hands to his lips "He'd never! I'd BURN them both to the ground!"

Alec completed his work and submitted it in finally reaching out for the drink Magnus had gotten him. Try as he might, he actually did enjoy moments like this with family and friend, and of course his loving Magnus.

Another hour or so passed most of the group was drunk, as Simon and Jace struggled to rap to Guns and Ships, Isabelle and Clary were busy singing along to satisfied for maybe the third time.

Magnus leaned in close.

"In there eyessssss I see you Alexander!" He sang to him drunkenly "I see you every time! And when my time is up! Will that be enough, will they tell my STORRYYYYYY~! " He managed leaning his head on Alec's shoulder before going silent. Too much alcohol in his system.

Alec watched along at his family smiled and enjoyed themselves and just quiet enough to know that they would NEVER hear him, he whispered

"I can't wait to see you again, it's only a matter of time." He hummed along to the soft memory of the tune "will they tell my story? who lives who dies who tells your story."

-

Hope you all enjoyed! :D Definitely in love with the Hamilton story and soundtrack and couldn't help but imagine that MAYBE the shadow world did too.