1. Coffee shops and heart attacks

Alec sat at the window of the small coffee shop called The Institute. He really did enjoy this place. It was a hole in the wall that not too many people ventured into, and those who did only came for coffee came in and left so fast he swore sometimes they were a blur. Today was a little different though, there was actually a small line at the counter. Alec took a deep sigh, if this place became too popular he may have to leave, truth be told he wasn't good with people. Shame, he liked this place, a lot.

From the outside looking in, Alec looked every bit of a badass, broody, and angsty. He didn't mean to though, he just didn't know how to be anything else. Clad in black, or at least dark gray now after all the abuse his clothes took, he should probably take his sister up on shopping. He pulled the sleeves of his shirt up and pulled out his laptop. His daily routine in full swing.

His fingers typed away at the computer with a fevered pace, he was in a groove. His favorite show had just recently hit a season finale and he had an arsenal of new ideas. He may never admit it, amongst other things, but he really enjoyed fanfiction. He had stumbled on the site when he found a really good fic and had become obsessed with a writer who seemed to enjoy the same stories and shows he did. @Magicalfanboii, was a god in Alec's world, he LIVED for his stories. After months of reading his work he'd stumbled on a contest of his and had participated and had actually garnered a comment from his fanfiction idol and a small following.

Fanfiction was a nice escape to him and was actually surprised by the support he received in the online world. It was easier there, no one judged him, and he constantly was receiving feedback.

He was several chapters into his newest story when a presence and the sound of a cup on his table startled him out of his skin.

"What are you writing there handsome?" came a sultry voice

Alec petrified slammed the screen down, his face burning different shades of red.

"uh, n-nothing" he stammered out finally.

He hadn't noticed him, he normally did. Magnus was the normal barista here, and almost always was there the days Alec was. Call it a crush, but Alec lived for the days he was there. Maybe that's why he liked the place so much. Magnus was everything Alec wasn't, golden caramel skin to Alec's pale, and a confidence he could only dream of.

Magnus was very clearly out and proud while Alec still chose to hide behind his screen name.

Magnus pushed the coffee cup towards him "here's your coffee" he stated simply taking a seat next to him. Alec shifted in his seat, his heart beating so loud he could hear it in his ears, he wondered if Magnus could hear it. Truth be told, he wondered if all of NEW YORK could hear it.

"I- I didn't order anything" he stammered out.

"I know" he replied, his cheek in his palm just looking at him, a Cheshire smile on his perfect lips. "I know you tend to order black coffee, but I took a small liberty, 1 sugar and half a shot of caramel"

"I-um- I... Thank... thank you?" he answered as if a question. God why was he so bad at this?

"Hopefully you'll like it, its personally my favorite. Besides, a little sweetness never hurt anyone" He added.

"uh, y-yeah" was all he could manage.

"My" Magnus purred "you have such a way with words."

Magnus scooted in a little closer. "So, what were you writing?"

Alec took a deep breath, inhaling the smell of Magnus' scent, he smelled sweet. It took him another second to get himself together, failing horribly, as he stayed in his head.

"Hello? Earth to planet hot boy, do you copy?" Magnus joked reaching a hand to playfully move the stray hair away from Alec's forehead.

"I'm sorry." Alec cursed himself in his head, WHY DID HE HAVE TO HAVE TO SOCIAL GRACES OF A BURNT PIECE OF TOAST!

"Sorry for what?" inquired the handsome man.

"All this, I'm sorry, I'm just not good with conversation"

"It's ok, I can be plenty chatty for the both of us Alexander"

"Wait! You know my name?" Alec replied in a panic. "how?"

"I make your coffee silly, what kind of barista would I be if I didn't know the name of who's coffee I was making?" Magnus stood up from the table, his hands still on the surface as he leaned in forward, as if he didn't really want to leave.

Alec let go of a breath. "That makes sense, I guess"

"Well, break is over, I'll leave you back to being cute and writing nothing" He smiled before reaching forward and grabbing the still untouched cup of coffee. He brought it to his lips and took a small sip.

"Some for the road" he said with a playful wink before placing the cup back close to him and walking away, watching the sway of his hips as he left probably the only thing keeping Alec from spontaneous combusting and dying right on the spot

Alec took several moments to categorize what happened, and make sense of everything. Magnus, probably the most beautiful human he'd ever seen, had just called him cute amongst other things. He reached for the coffee mug, placing his own lips on the tell-tale signs of shiny lip gloss that Magnus left behind on the rim, and took a sip. Imagining for a moment, it wasn't the mug.

He opened his laptop again, a new story taking form in his head, as his fingers danced across the keys.

He held the coffee mug in his hands softly before taking in another sip, it was the best coffee he'd ever had.

-So what did you guys think? This will be a probably really short AU story. Look at Alec, such social skills. He's about as blessed with them as I am.

-Thoughts? Comments? :D Let me know what you think! Don't forget to ★!-