Good Morning Beautiful

-Happy New years! :D First official story of the year! I'm sure most of you have had wonderful happiness filled past couple of days. Let's change that a little.-

Magnus always knew these days would come. Days where Alec wouldn't be the sprightly young man he'd been years ago. He'd anticipated it. He hated it. But it was something he'd have to accept.

Achy bones and gray hairs followed quickly. Magnus was grateful. He'd enjoyed his darling Alexander for six decades.

He'd gone through the phases. When the crowds thought he was his boyfriend, to older husband, possible sugar daddy, to possible father, and grandfather.

None of it bothered him. None of the comments mattered. And gratefully Alec didn't seem to be phased by it either. Enjoying their life had always been priority one. Besides, Magnus could always Magic the gray away, make a potion for the aches. And damn straight he still found his darling to be the most handsome thing in the world.

It wasn't until the little things began, the things magic couldn't fix, that Magnus finally let his heart begin to crack.

It started off so easily. Random moments of forgetting why he'd entered a room. What he was meant to buy from the shops. Little things. Mundane things. It was endearing.

One day he'd left the oven on. Burned roast so much it reminded them of Sebastian. They had a good laugh ordered from Takis' And went on with life.

Another day Alec simply lost his keys. He forgotten that he'd placed them in the same bowl he'd used for the past 46 years. Magnus laughed, it was cute. The always on top of things Lightwood had a moment. No big deal.

And then he forgot their anniversary.

Then a doctor's appointment.

His phone number.

Jace's sons name.

Isabelle's birthday.

The fact he had grandchildren.

They didn't laugh as much then.

It wasn't until Alec forgot the anniversary of Jace's death that Magnus finally started to be concerned. Truth be told, he'd even forgotten that he'd passed away entirely, only vaguely remembering that there was supposed to be a rune above his hip bone.

They stopped laughing then.

How could Magnus possibly fix this? He'd read about a mundane disease that could take a person away, but unlike anything that could normally affect a shadowhunter or a downworlder, this had no cure.

Everyday he'd slip a little more. Every day another gray smudge where a once vibrant memory had rested.

It had broken the boys heart when their father barely knew who they were. Rafael especially had taken it hard. Yet they persisted. Always willing to remind him when he muddled up a detail.

Unfortunately, a day came when even they were a little haze to the elder shadowhunter.

That's when his health truly began to slip. Magnus could do little but watch. Finally, a day came that he dreaded. He knew it was the end of his fairy tale love.

He sat in bed watching his Alexander's chest rise and fall with labored breaths. His hand fluttered gently across his forehead moving away the stray hairs that threatened to fall across his forehead. Murky blue eyes opened up and looked towards him.

"Good morning beautiful. Have you been waiting long for me to wake up?" came the raspy voice of lungs already wishing to quit their job. He looked around slowly stopping to glance out the window. "Why is it so dark out?" He asked.

"Hello to you too handsome, it's six in the evening darling." replied the eternally youthful Magnus through dry lips. "But no. Not very long. How are you feeling?"

"I" he started and took several moments to think about it. "I'm hurting" was all he could say.

"I know dear. Old age does that to you I've heard."

"Well old age sucks" he gave a heavy laugh that almost made Magnus smile. Almost. At most a little smirk tugged at the corner of his lips.

"Alexander." Magnus broke the growing silence "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything" came the reply.

"I've always been curious. What is it like to forget? Are you aware that you are? Or is it just gone like a whisper of breath of fire blown out?"

A few moments passed, Magnus could almost believe he'd fallen asleep. He was corrected when he could hear Alec clearing his throat.

"I'm aware" he spoke softly. Magnus moved in closer, he'd have missed it had he been inches further. "I know there are holes. I know there isn't a piece there that should be there. I know it's there. Yet it's not. I'm sorry. Did that answer your question?"

Magnus breath caught in his lungs as he listened. "Yes. "

"Good." Alec closed his eyes and several minutes passed before he opened them again.

"Good morning beautiful." He started. "Have you been waiting long for me to wake up?"

Magnus tried to smile.

"No handsome. Not long at all."

"Good" he said with a weak, but still brilliant smile. "Why is it so dark out?"

"Because it is evening time darling. Can I ask you another question dear?"

"Oh? you asked a question before?"

"Unimportant. You answered it anyways. So, I have a new one. How do you always remember me?"

A second or two passed before he got a response.

"Simple. It's you"

"I know that it's me, but how is it you still always remember me?"

"It's you Magnus. You are the most important thing in my life. I can't forget that. I won't ever forget that" he said with a smile.

Magnus finally allowed himself to return that smile. He leaned his head in to rest against Alec's shoulder.

He took a deep breath and didn't let it go again until he could hear Alec's voice beside him.

"Good Morning beautiful. Have you been waiting long for me to wake up?"

Magnus took a deep breath.

"Good morning handsome. No. Not long at all" he whispered, as tears escaped from his eyes.

-I know I'm being mean. I've actually had this story written since Novemeber, but decided to postpone it in lieu of holidays and joy and all that blah blah blah! 
That being said. I have a slightly nice repair to this in case your feelings are still hurt. If you guys like I can post it up later today or tomorrow. :) Other than that; I will be going away for a few days and will probably not return to updating any more stories till around January 20 at the earliest. :D 

Second thing; if you want a behind the scenes look of what I'm working on. Would like to get to know me a little better. Want to leave me a request. Or simply know what I have in store. Check out my new book called 'Diary of a girl gone mad' :D 

-★Thoughts? Comments? :D Let me know what you think! Don't forget to ★ Also are there any prompts/topics/or scenarios you'd like for me to try writing? Let me know!-★