1. Baby Steps

A/N Some of you may recognize this as a previous story I posted. I was not happy with it, so I deleted it and reworked it a little. I did correct some of the grammatical errors and fixed something to maybe improve the story flow. :D Sorry for the re-upload for those who have read it before! 

Magnus Bane, High warlock of Brooklyn, mused over his closet finally deciding on a red pair of leather jeans to match the silken red floral button up he had previously pulled.

"Magnus?" came a voice behind him, his loving partner was leaning against the door frame.

"Hmm?" he purred looking for another outfit to pack into his suitcase.

"Are you sure you have to go? I'm sure that there are other warlocks strong enough to do what the clave wants without you" Anxiety ran deep in his voice, this was not the first time he had asked this.

"Are you saying I'm not good enough to be of help?" He feigned ignorance, he knew what this was about, but was waiting for Alec to admit his true concerns.

"No Mags, it's not that, it's just. I can't." He finally whispered out moving from the door to sit on the bed.

"Can't what Alexander?" Magnus asked sitting next to him on the bed resting his own hand over Alec's.

"Max" he finally said it, referring to the incredibly young, and incredibly blue, warlock toddler that he and Magnus had taken in after he was abandoned. "Can't he just stay with Caterina?"

"You can and you will be perfectly fine, besides why would I leave him with Catarina when I can leave him with his perfectly capable daddy."

"Magnus, I'm no good with kids!" He argued in futile.

"Madzie loves you!"

"Well, I only ever have her for a couple of hours! I don't know how to take care of them for long periods of time."

"You take pretty good care of Jacob"

"Who's Jacob?"

"The blonde boy, you're parabatai or whatever."

"You mean Jace?"

"Yeah, that one, whatever" he said with a roll of his eyes "you take care of him just fine"

"Magnus! Jace is a GROWN MAN!"

"Could've fooled me" he whispered under his breath. "Alec, what is really the problem, you practically raised Jace and Isabelle, you are intelligent, responsible, and determined, you run a stellar institute. Max is lucky to have you as his father and wouldn't be safer anywhere else. What is freaking you out?"

Alec took a deep breath and spilled. "Because he hates me! He never liked me! All he does is cry if I even LOOK at him Mags" Alec sighed he knew he was losing this argument, if only he believed in himself the way Magnus did.

Alec threw himself back against the bed, he and Magnus had adopted the little boy and named him Max after his late brother. It had been a month and the little boy couldn't stand him, always crying with him. Magnus could console the boy in seconds, but Alec just couldn't.

Magnus lay back with him wrinkling the clothes that had previously been set on the bed, he didn't care, he wanted to comfort his Alexander.

"Alexander, he doesn't hate you. You just need to spend more time with him is all. He's used to me because normally you freak out and bring him to me." He reached his arm over his chest and looked up into his bright blue eyes. "I believe in you, you will be fine, trust me!" He stretched up little longer and kissed Alec's jaw. It was a very small kiss compared to some of the more passionate the two had shared in all their time together, but it made a difference as Alec finally cracked a crooked smile.

"I sure hope you are right" He whispered, giving up his fears and accepting there was no way out of this.

An hour had passed and Magnus was ready to go, his bag by his side, he opened a portal in their small living room. The toddler waddled over to him reaching his arms up. "pa pa" he called as magnus picked him up lovingly. His first words were papa, and every time he said it filled him with joy.

"Goodbye my little blueberry! I'll be home soon!" he sang placing a small peck on the little warlock's nose. "be good for daddy!" he chimed as the boy babbled incoherently and was put down.

"It will be fine Alexander, call me if you need anything!" he called going into his arms. Alec hugged him close not wanting to let him go.

"I'll miss you Magnus, come home quickly" he said before leaning in for a heavy kiss.

"As soon as I can" once the warlock could breathe again.

Magnus gave his love a final kiss before waving goodbye and walking into the portal, trying his best to not hear the piercing wails of the little boy and refused to imagine the fact that Alec probably looked like a panicked deer.

-Thoughts? Comments? :D Let me know what you think! Don't forget to ★!

There will be a part two; and it is significantly longer than this one, almost by double. That part will be up maybe tomorrow or the day after-