1. The mighty fall

Funny how things can change in an instant. One misstep can cost you everything you've worked on, but can also bring something greater.

Alec took deep breaths, his headphones doing good in shutting out the world. The crowd of people in the stands didn't make him nervous anymore, he'd learned to surpass that, he'd gotten over it years ago. Alec was very proud of his talents. When he was 4 his parents had registered him for gymnastics in hopes of him overcoming his clumsy tendencies, and although it hadn't helped much in his day to day life, in the spotlight he had a grace not too many could match.

Alec, like most gymnasts representing team USA, were busy in the prelims of the upcoming games. If he did well today it would mean he would qualify to represent his country in the upcoming Olympic games in Tokyo. Although he should be excited and nervous, emotions were a distraction to what he needed to accomplish, so he stared off only the music in his ears.

Athlete behind athlete took their turn on the trampoline, Alec's choice event, and he refused to watch. He needed his mind focused, and paying attention to his outside world may bring back the jitters. Finally Came his turn. His coach beside him tapped his shoulder, he finally removed his headphones and made his way to the side of the mat where his event was held. He pulled of his hoodie, ignoring the cheers of the girls in the crowd, and tossed it to his coach. He took the first steps towards the trampoline and ran his hand against the rough material that covered the springs.  He did his normal routine. Smiled out to the crowd and put on a fake smile. He spotted his sister and family in the crowd. A big sign held up by Isabelle 'Let's Go BIG BROTHER' it said. His brother Jace throwing him a thumbs up sign, his father's angry face just looked at him, couldn't he just be proud of him this once?

He took a deep breath, emotions were a distraction, he reminded himself. He passed by the spotter to his right and he hoisted himself onto the springy surface. His name was announced as he made his way gracefully to the center of the trampoline. This was his ground, he was in control, this was his. He took another breath and jumped.

One....Two.....Three jumps. He felt his body go airborne, felt the whoosh of air against his skin. Four..... Five..... Six. He could see the heights he was reaching, even higher than he had gone in practice. Seven..... Eight.....Nine..... Ten.... He reached his peak and executed his first jump a tuck that he performed flawlessly. Two more jumps a twist that he'd been mastering for months. He felt himself too much to the right as he corrected himself and centered his body again. Three more jumps another successful maneuver.

He gathered his momentum once more. He was so close to finishing. One... Two... Three... He reached a peak to the crowd and saw his father, staring at his phone, he looked back ahead where he should have. Four....Five.... he leaned in for a tuck before converting into a spin. Why wasn't his father watching him? He executed the spin with a precision. Couldn't he just watch him? His frustrations clouded his mind. He didn't sense it, didn't see it, didn't adjust until it was already too late. His body had shifted over to the right again, this time he was too slow. He felt himself drop, he knew he would miss the center. He didn't care.

He felt his feet hit on the edge, the hard springs shooting a pain, as he felt his body get launched off over the side. He closed his eyes. He braced for the impact of the hard ground. It never came. He opened his eyes and felt a warmth behind him. A pair of arms wrapped around his chest, a softer landing than he'd dreamed of.

"I've never had someone fall for me like that" he heard the voice that belonged to the arms. He shot up quickly and put out his arms, he finished his routine. The sound of pity applause burned his ears. He looked at the boy who was getting up slowly. It was the spotter from before.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

Alec was at a loss of words, his mind going a million miles a minute, most of those miles in shame. He reached over and patted the boys arm and walked away. The other spotters gathering around him, Alec just walked away. The sound of applause still filled the room.

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" he heard across the building from the announcers. "In an unprecedented turn of events. Alexander Lightwood from team USA has failed his routine" he heard them say. The word Failed echoing through his mind.

"Will the points he earned be enough to keep him in the running for the Japan Games?" Asked another bodyless voice over the PA.

Alec looked over to the stands. His father was finally looking at him, and all he did was shake his head.

"I don't think so folks! With a score of 53.2 he will not be advancing. What a shame. He had such a good season too."

Alec grabbed for his headphones and walked out of the area. He'd failed.

--

Hey guys! So this will be part one of maybe a longer arc! :D Guess who the spotter is! All of this was inspired by this video i found on youtube which I have linked into the top of this story! :D

Thoughts? Comments? :D Let me know what you think! Don't forget to Also are there any prompts/topics/or scenarios you'd like for me to try writing? Let me know!-