Flying: Year 1

Amisty groaned inwardly when she saw the notice paper in the common room. She would have to learn to fly a broom with a very angry Malfoy on her tail.

"We're learning to fly with the Slytherins! Isn't that going to be fun?" She announced sarcastically when she met up with Hermione, who groaned out loud.

"I'm so going to fail," Amisty laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

"Same!" Hermione agreed, and the girls walked together to the Great Hall for breakfast.

Amisty avoided the topic of Quidditch as much as she could, not that it really helped. Hermione was constantly spouting off random facts and tips about flying that it seemed it was the only thing she cared about.

"Echo!" Amisty smiled when her tawny owl soared through when the mail came, again.

She never brought any mail, but she didn't mind.

It was nice that she visited even though she didn't have a job. Echo nuzzled Amisty's hand affectionately, opening her beak so she could slip a chunk of bread inside.

Suddenly, she heard Ron and Harry stand up quickly, anger coming off them in waves.

When she saw what the problem was, she leapt to her feet too. Her eyes narrowed into slits as she glared at Malfoy.

Amisty sighed slightly when Professor McGonagall appeared in a flash, asking what the problem was. She sat down slowly, keeping her eyes on Draco as he walked away. Hermione glanced at her friend as she turned around.

A questioning look was within her eyes. What did she have against him?

-=+=-

Amisty walked down the sloping lawn, making sure she didn't lose her footing and go tumbling down the hills head over heels.

The place they were supposed to meet was a flat part of the lawn, twenty or so brooms already positioned on the ground, along with ten Slytherins standing next to half of them.

Amisty's heart raced in her chest as she walked up next to a broom, it looked very old, the wood chipped in places, along with several twigs sticking out of place.

When Madame Hooch arrived, Amisty's heart beat faster, she felt like everyone within a five mile radius could hear it.

"Stick out your right hand over your broom, and say 'up'!" Madame Hooch barked.

"Up!" Amisty ordered, a slight hint of hesitation in her voice. The broom jerked slightly, before falling to the ground once again. Amisty's cheeks grew pink, until she noticed that very few people had their brooms in-hand, Harry being in that group of few people. And sadly, Malfoy as well.

After some quick lessons, they were ready to go airborne. Amisty mounted her broom steadily, and watched Madame Hooch carefully, not wanting to miss the whistle.

Before the whistle touched Madame Hooch's lips, Neville shot up into the air. His shock was remarkable, and clearly he didn't know what to do.

Amisty cringed when he went hurtling to ground, a loud cracking noise filled her ears soon after and she whimpered, closing her eyes tightly. Madame Hooch barked at them to stay put and took Neville up to the hospital wing. Amisty watched them go, barely paying attention to the commotion behind her until she heard Harry yell.

She spun around, her eyes widening at the sight. Malfoy was hovering above a tree, holding a sparkling white ball in his hand, taunting Harry.

"Amisty?" Hermione grabbed her arm, making sure she didn't go nuts.

Harry grabbed his broom and within seconds he was in the air, racing towards Malfoy.

"It's okay, Hermione. This is Harry's fight," Amisty grinned, cheering Harry on along with Ron. Malfoy's face was shocked, making Amisty's grin even bigger.

Until Draco threw the ball up into the air and raced back to the ground. She didn't know what to do, Harry was flying straight to the ground to catch the ball, but Malfoy had just landed a few feet away.

She wanted to make sure Harry was safe, but she also wanted to fight Malfoy.

"HARRY!" she screamed, struggling out of Hermione's grip.

He was a foot away from the ground now. She squeezed her eyes shut, feeling her friend drop her hand in shock.

"Amisty, open your eyes," Hermione whispered.

She opened one eye slowly, before letting out a breath of relief. Harry lay in the grass, the ball clutched in his hand so tightly his fingers were turning white.

"He's okay," She breathed, her joy soon leaving her when she spotted Professor McGonagall marching toward him, her lips in a tight line.

"Oh god no," Amisty whispered, watching as the Professor led a shaking Harry up to the castle. Draco's face lit up with triumph, and Amisty growled under her breath, her hands clenched.

She stormed towards him, glad that the class was distracted by the sudden series of events.

"If I don't see him by the end of the day, it's you I'll be looking for," She growled lowly, jabbing a finger at his chest.

He caught her hand in an iron-grip, proving her unable to move.

"Aw, does the orphan have a crush on Harry Potter?" He shot back, smirking.

"Do you have any insults for me that aren't about my living conditions?" She retorted, trying to ignore the pain in her chest at the word orphan.

"Don't try to avoid the question." He replied, crossing his arms.

"No, the orphan does not have a crush on Harry Potter." Amisty snapped, trying to twist her arm out of his grasp.

"Malfoy, if you would kindly release her hand it would be highly appreciated. I don't think she enjoys your company," Ron came to her rescue, his blue eyes just as slitted as Amisty's.

"From what I saw, it was she who approached me first," Draco replied cooly, the corner of his mouth turning up slightly.

"I'm right here!" Amisty exclaimed, finally tugging her wrist away.

She stumbled slightly, quickly regaining her composure so she could face him once more, "You see, Malfoy, if you had proper friends you would understand why I care so much about Harry's well-being. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. Does it?"

And with that, she walked away, Ron grinning widely at her side.

"Thanks for that," She smiled, "I shouldn't have tried."

"What are you thanking me for? I think you're the only person in years who's actually tried to put a Malfoy in their place, Amisty. Don't stop, it might teach them a lesson or two." Ron replied, patting her on the back as he walked back to Seamus and Dean.

A bright smile illuminated her face, and she was practically skipping as she made her way back to her friends.