The Entrance: Year 2

Amisty was starting to feel as if Malfoy's first words to her always being a question about her whereabouts was getting old.

It didn't help that she felt as if she were to be dragged into the Chamber.

"If I haven't said these exact words enough times already, that's none of your business," She snapped, sighing dramatically. "And, need I mention, as I have before, you're doing the exact same thing as me."

"I've never met anyone more aggravating than yourself," He replied calmly, looking down at her with placid silver eyes.

"You clearly haven't heard yourself speak, then," She snarled, starting toward the closed classroom door. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I best be getting to my common room before I'm accused of being the Heir of Slytherin."

"You say that as if anyone would think you'd have any blood relations to Slytherin," Malfoy replied smoothly, sliding between her and the door with a smirk.

"Blood is a tricky thing, nobody seemed too fazed when Harry was first blamed," She shot back, trying to dodge under his arm and only banging into him.

"And you yourself seemed very happy with thinking it was me," He raised an eyebrow, his smirk slowly turning into a sneer.

Amisty felt her mind flashback to their conversation in the Slytherin common room.

She shook her head slightly, banishing the thought from her mind. It wasn't worth thinking about.

"And you seem pretty disappointed that it wasn't you," She snarled, swallowing hard. "Afterall, why taint the school with Mudbloods?"

Malfoy's eyes had clouded, similar to the color of chimney smoke as he looked down at her.

She couldn't decipher what emotion was swirling around in their depths.

She didn't know if she wanted to be able to decipher it.

"I didn't -- " He started, the words dying on his lips at the harsh glint in her emerald eyes.

"No, no. I very specifically remember you calling me a... hm... what were the exact words?" She tapped her chin as if thinking. "Oh, yes. 'Maybe you're right. Maybe you are just a pathetic little Mudblood.' Isn't that what you said? I'm pretty sure it is since that's what I hear in my head every single day. Thank you for that, by the way. I really appreciate it."

"River... you were being -- I was -- that isn't -- " He stumbled over his words, a flicker of panic flashing across his face at her cold calmness.

It wasn't every day that Amisty spoke with such icy tonality.

He wasn't sure how to handle it, being so used to her fiery, slightly snappish retorts.

This was a side of her he didn't want to argue with.

She was too tranquil, too distant at the moment. Too different from her usual, brilliantly sharp self.

He wasn't going to make any comment on it, though, as he did value his own life very much.

Not to mention any slip of tongue would bring forth, with no doubt, at least a bruise.

"Let me go, Malfoy," She ordered, narrowing her eyes at the lack of response.

He just nodded slowly.

To say she was shocked when he moved to the side was an understatement.

She wasn't going to let it show, though, and simply twisted open the doorknob.