Hazel Lamark: Year 5

Plates clean and bellies full, the Great Hall slowly raised in volume as everyone leaned back in their seats, talking to their friends.

Dumbledore got to his feet from behind the staff table, the noise level dropping down as they turned to face him.

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices. First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students -- and a few of our older students ought to know by now too.

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in the corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door.

"We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creature lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our now Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

They clapped, but it wasn't very enthusiastic.

Amisty exchanged worried glances with her friends. Hagrid's return hadn't been set in stone.

"Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the -- "

"Hem hem."

Amisty started, staring up at Professor Umbridge, who had stood up from her seat.

She was straightening up her pink cardigan, looking at Dumbledore expectantly. He blinked slowly behind his half moon spectacles before taking a seat, an expression of the utmost attentiveness fixed on her.

Professor Sprout's eyebrows had disappeared behind her hair, and Professor McGonagall's green eyes were flashing, her mouth a very thin.

"Thank you, Headmaster," She smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes. Her voice was high and lilting, and obnoxious, "for those kind words of welcome.

"Hem, hem."

Amisty resisted the urge to snort.

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She beamed, her teeth slightly pointed at the end. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

That was quite a lie.

Not one person in the entire Great Hall looked remotely happy. In fact, they all looked faintly offended or disgruntled as she addressed them as if they were a lot of idiots.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!"

Amisty's lip twitched.

"I'll be her friend as long as I don't have to borrow that cardigan," Parvati whispered, and Lavender and she broke out into a fit of giggles.

"Hem, hem."

Okay, now it was just getting annoying.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching.

"Hem, hem.

"Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation..."