Fred And George: Year 4

"Well, Rita's definitely not using an Invisibility Cloak! Moody says he didn't see her anywhere near the judges' table at the second task, or anywhere near the lake!" Hermione announced after joining them.

She had stayed behind to speak with Professor Moody after a particularly harsh lesson. Hex-deflections weren't the most fun thing to practice.

"Hermione," Ron sighed, exasperated, "is there any point in telling you to drop this?"

"No! I want to know how she heard me talking to Victor! And how she found out about Hagrid's, and everything with you and Malfoy!" Hermione snapped back.

"Maybe she had you bugged," Harry offered.

"Bugged? What... put fleas on her or something?" Ron blinked, completely and utterly confused. Amisty stifled a laugh.

"Microphones -- they record things -- can be shrunk down so they're tiny and placed on people so they record their conversations -- " Harry started to explain.

"Aren't you two ever going to read Hogwarts: A History?" Hermione sighed.

"What's the point? You know it by heart, we can just ask you," Ron shot back, grinning.

"All those substitutes for magic Muggles use -- electricity, computers, and radar,and all those things -- they all go haywire around Hogwarts, there's too much magic in the air," Hermione ignored him, shaking her head. "No, Rita's using magic to eavesdrop, she must be... If I could just find out what it is... ooh, if it's illegal, I'll have her..."

"Haven't we got enough to worry about? Do we have to start a vendetta against Rita asserted as well?" Ron asked sarcastically.

"I'm not asking you to help! I'll do it on my own!" Hermione snapped, swinging her bag over her shoulder and stomping off to the library.

"What's the betting she comes back with a box of I Hate Rita Skeeter badges?" Ron muttered, shaking his head.

-=+=-

Easter holiday seemed to be years away even though it was only a few days. The homework load was veering on ridiculous, and it felt as if the second she had a spare minute it was taken up with studying and proofreading.

That, combined with the waiting for Percy's letter, was able to drive her nuts.

When Hedwig finally did arrive she was relieved, free of the feeling she was going to explode. Along with Percy's letter was a package of Easter eggs.

Amisty took hers hungrily, beaming down at the large egg as she cracked it open to find all the toffee, and then her happy face falling at the sight of Hermione's disappointed face.

"Your mum doesn't read Witch Weekly, by any chance, does she, Ron?" Hermione asked, staring down at the tiny egg she held.

"Yeah. Gets it for the recipes," Ron replied.

"I'll share mine with yours," Amisty whispered, throwing a worried look over at Harry.

"Don't you want to see what Percy's written?" Harry asked hurriedly, opening the letter and spreading it out in front of the four of them.

As I am constantly telling the Daily Prophet, Mr. Crouch is taking a well-deserved break. He is sending regular owls with instructions. No, I haven't actually seen him, but I think I can be trusted to know my own superior's handwriting. I have quite enough to do at the moment without trying to quash these ridiculous rumors. Please don't bother me again unless it's something important. Happy Easter.