Haven River: Year 3

"Miss River, could I speak with you?" Professor Lupin stuck his head out of his classroom door, startling Amisty slightly.

She had been walking down to the hospital wing to pay Madame Pomfrey a visit for her break period.

"Um, yes, sir," She nodded, confused as she walked into the said room. He headed back over to his desk, pouring two cups of tea and handing one to her.

"So, how has your school year been so far?" Professor Lupin asked kindly, sipping his tea with an air of nonchalance.

"Forgive me for saying this, sir, but I don't think you would've asked to speak with me just to ask about my school year," Amisty looked up at him warily, hoping her snark wasn't too over the top, as it so usually was.

To her surprise, he was smiling brightly.

"And you are correct about that and much different than your mother, might I add," He chuckled, taking a sip of his tea.

"You knew my mother?" She asked, sitting up in her seat and leaning forward, eyes eager.

"I went to school with her, but I'm afraid I have more pressing matters to address first," He replied calmly, the smile fading slightly.

"More pressing matters, sir?" Amisty questioned, her eyebrows raised in concern.

Had she hit Draco too hard the last time she saw him? It was his own fault, he was doing an impression of Harry falling off his broom at the sight of the dementors in the Great Hall and he was sitting right in front of that bowl of porridge.

The urge was too great, and he ended up with a faceful of his breakfast that morning. He deserved it, honestly.

And he almost got her back, too, but she managed to dodge out of the way of his outstretched foot just in time.

It had been an eventful morning.

"I was informed by Professor McGonagall that you had a visit with your father during the last Hogsmeade trip," He explained, setting down the cup of tea.

Amisty blinked, hesitating as she tried to come up with a reply. Was he disappointed in how she reacted? Concerned for her? Angry as well?

She studied the Professor's face, trying to see any other emotion other than calm.

"Yes, I did," She spoke, at last, hoping it would sound indifferent enough to not bring up any worries.

"And I'm under the impression that it hadn't quite gone as well as Noel had hoped," He continued.

Ah, there it was.

"I'm sorry," She lowered her head, feeling a wave of shame wash over her. "I know my reaction wasn't quite mature -- "

"Think nothing of it, Amisty, I believe it was quite justified," Professor Lupin cut her off quickly, offering a smile.

"Justified? But I was furious with him, I yelled at him, I said things I should have never even thought of saying..." She rambled, bewildered.

"Yes, maybe you did. That's the thing, Amisty, what you did was justified because you don't know the rest of the story," Professor Lupin nodded, pulling out his wand and a bottle. "By any chance have you read up on memories?"

"No, sir, I haven't. May I ask why?" Her head tilted to the side as he set the bottle on the desk with a soft thump.

"There is a special type of magic that lets memories be taken out and viewed. If you would allow me to see your memories I could extract the one that explains everything," He explained calmly, looking over at her.