Professor Lupin's Back: Year 3

"How are you?" Amisty asked, closing the hospital wing doors shut softly behind her.

"I've been better," Harry replied glumly, his gaze never leaving the bag of broomstick remnants on the table beside him.

Hermione and Ron had gone down to lunch a few minutes before. They had been visiting Harry for the entire weekend as he was confined to the hospital wing. Something he wasn't very happy about.

"I brought you treacle tart," The corner of her mouth quirked up slightly as she walked over and took a seat by his bedside. "I know it's your favorite."

"Thanks, Am," He forced a smile, though it looked more like a grimace.

The 'thank you' was truthful as far as she could tell. He was just upset about his broomstick and Gryffindor's loss.

"So, how's it been in here?" She asked, hoping she sounded casual and not worried as she perched on the edge of his gurney.

"Boring, actually. I don't know how you spend so much time down here," He replied, whispering the last bit with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Well, I happen to be very interested in what happens here. Unlike you, who seems to get injured at any possible occurrence," She shot back, raising her eyebrows.

"It just means I can rely on you if I ever end up doing something stupid, which will happen eventually," He grinned.

"If I'm not there with you, of course," She added, leaning forward and looking over the pile of gifts he had received. "What's underneath that bowl?"

She reached toward it, a colorful corner of what seemed like a card poking out.

Harry's eyes went wide and he shot up, grabbing her wrist.

"I wouldn't open that if I were you. It's from Ginny, it's a get well soon card and... it sings," He explained, wincing at the memory.

"Harry Potter is scared of a singing card?" Amisty asked disbelievingly, looking from her captive grasp to Harry to the card and back.

"I'm not scared of it, it's just... it's very loud," He replied, adding a shudder for dramatic effect.

"So I'm not allowed to see it, then?" She sat back down properly, feigning disappointment.

"Trust me, if it hurt my ears you wouldn't last a minute," He nodded seriously, throwing a furtive at said card.

"Point taken," Amisty decided, laughing softly.

"What's been going on while I've been here?" Harry asked, his mood lifted slightly it seemed.

"It's been okay," She shrugged, not wanting to sugar coat anything. "Malfoy is overjoyed with Gryffindor losing and finally decided to take off his stupid bandages but I managed to shove him as I was passing in the hallway this morning if that helps."

Harry snorted at that.

"Wood came back, he doesn't look happy but he doesn't blame you at all. Oh, and the dementors are no longer allowed to leave the outskirts of the school, Dumbledore's orders."

"Is Wood doing alright?" Harry asked, his smile fading a bit at the reminder of the loss.

"He's fine, Harry, don't worry too much. It's not your fault that we lost the game," Amisty reassured firmly, adding at his hesitant expression. "And if anyone tells you otherwise tell them they can deal with me."

He laughed at that, shaking his head at her antics and finally biting into the treacle tart, "I would expect nothing less from you."

"I'd be very offended if you didn't," Amisty replied jokingly, a smile spreading across her face at his laughter.