Who's Echo?: Year 3

Easter holiday didn't feel like Easter holiday. All their classes had piled up their homework for preparation for the exams.

Amisty nearly jumped out of her skin, bent over her Charms homework, when Seamus leaped to his feet.

"Call this a holiday! The exams are ages away, what're they playing at?" He shouted defiantly, slamming his hands down on the table and almost scattering Dean's papers everywhere.

But even with all their homework, Hermione rose above them all with her amount. Her quitting Divination didn't even put a dent in her pile of homework, of which she worked on from as soon as the sun rose and as late as her candles would allow.

Ron, sensing Hermione's inability, started to take up the responsibility of researching for Buckbeak's case. The minute he finished his homework for the day, he'd pull out book after book ranging from The Handbook of Hippogriff Psychology to Fowl or Foul? A Study of Hippogriff Brutality.

Harry spent his time juggling homework and the constant Quidditch practices Wood had amped up to daily.

He seemed almost ready to slap the team captain, who whenever he saw him would remind the raven-haired boy about how he couldn't catch the Snitch unless Gryffindor was more that fifty points up.

Amisty had, after a whole lot of pleading and reassurances from Hermione, and a whole lot of letters from Malfoy -- all of which went ignored -- decided to write her dad.

The tensions between the Gryffindors and Slytherins were so high, and after Malfoy's little act before the holidays started, Amisty had very little need nor want to reply.

Dear Dad,

Hi, it's Amisty. I know you probably weren't expecting this, I know I have no right to even expect a reply after how I acted this autumn. I wanted to apologize for that. It was completely unnecessary and I was so mad about what had happened, when it wasn't even in your control, that I took it out on you instead of talking about it properly. I really am sorry.

Thank you, Amisty

It had been quite a shock when Echo flew back, looking very proud of her owner and very happy with herself with a letter tied to her legs.

Dear Amisty,

I won't lie, I really wasn't expecting this, and I'm honestly still shocked that you'd even be willing to write me. Your actions were entirely justified, and I don't blame you for saying what you said at all. Ask me anything you want to know, there have to be some questions you haven't had answered.

Love, Dad

She beamed down at the little heart beside the signature, relieved and overjoyed that he wasn't upset with her.

Dear Dad,

Tell me about you and Mom. Almost everyone I've talked to has said I looked like her, but I've only seen her in photographs. I've never heard anything about her. Same with you, actually. Tell me what you did when you were at Hogwarts.

Love, Amisty

His reply was much longer than she had anticipated, unrolling so far it reached the edge of her bed.

Dear Amisty,

Echo was brilliant. At first, she was incredibly shy. I barely heard her say more than a 'hello' or a 'thank you', and even then they were usually replaced with a wave or smile. She did look exactly like you, though her eyes did flash gold occasionally. The same bright green eyes, the same long curly black hair, even her freckles were the same as you.