Gonna Pay For This

Zuko's POV

Damn, that girl doesn't mess around. 

Azula and I were walking out of our Firebending in Battle class with the waterbenders and I was exhausted. Katara was focused the moment Master Paku and Master Jeong Jeong started giving instructions. Maybe this plan of Azula's will actually help my GPA. The only part I'm worried about is telling Mai. She may not have cared about us dancing but this project is really important. And by the way, Katara basically threatened my life if our grade is anything less than perfect, she's gonna wanna spend a lot of time on it. 

Perfect for Azula's plan, not so great for my relationship.

I even mentioned this in Father's office, when she explained her thought process. I figured he wouldn't want to do anything that would upset Mai but Azula assured him it wouldn't be a problem. She may not know her friends as well as she thinks but Father approved the plan and I wasn't gonna argue. He should know that there might be a dent in my credit card cause I will be paying for this one way or another.

~~~*~~~

"So it was just a coincidence that the same girl you danced with on Friday, the girlfriend of the guy you hate, is now your partner in a month-long project?" Mai said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. 

Yeah saw that one coming.

"I told you the project was my Father's idea and Azula saw an opportunity." I tried to explain. It was technically true but I didn't tell her that it was originally supposed to be Azula. The only reason I'm her partner is because of my idea to dance with her. "Once my Father approved, I couldn't say no."

Mai let out a sigh and nodded. She understood my relationship with my Father. I know people thought her heartless and emotionless but I knew the other side of Mai. It was kinda hard to get to but I've known her almost my whole life. I think the only other person to see the real Mai was Ty Lee. Azula is the one that doesn't do emotions . . . unless she is using them to her advantage.

"Trust me, this is the last thing I want to be doing. The fact that it's the two toughest bending master's is enough to make me want to run away." At that, she gave me a small smile. "Why don't we go out to dinner tonight? I have this project and you have your Intense Stilettos class, I want to make sure I get to spend as much time as possible with you. And yes, I know that was cheesy." I added before she could make another sarcastic comment. Mai did have a weak spot for extra attention.

As we were walking threw the halls, I heard a couple fighting off to the side with a voice that sounded very familiar. I'm already taking Mai out to dinner and Azula would torch me if she knew I missed this opportunity. 

"Well if it isn't the happy couple." I said and smirked as we turned the corner, Katara and Jet came into view neither of them looking very thrilled at my sudden appearance. 

"Go away Zuko. This doesn't concern you." Jet spoke first while taking a step forward which blocked my view of Katara except she didn't stay that way for long. Katara's hand appeared on his shoulder and she pushed him to the side. She looked pissed as she stared at Jet, her hand clutching his shoulder.

"Enough Jet." She said staring at Jet before she turned her head to me but still held Jet back. I took this as a chance to send another smirk towards Jet. "Zuko, I will see you tomorrow. It was nice to see you too, Mai."

Mai just sent her a bored look and nodded in response.

"Can't wait." I finished with a wink and notice Jet tighten his fist. That guy just makes it too easy.

"What was that about?"Mai asked as we walked away.

"It was just perfect timing. I wonder what they were arguing about, though."

"Oh please Zuko, it was so obvious." Mai said. "It's like Azula planned, they were fighting about you and this project."

"It just got assigned today, there's nothing to fight about yet." I said without thinking. She stopped walking and stared at me.

"What do you mean yet?" Mai just stared at me and I froze. Guess it's time to fill her in on the rest of the plan. Too bad we didn't eat first.

Oh Zuko, what did you get yourself into? How did the rest of Katara and Jet's conversation go? What do you think he wanted her to do? Guess you're gonna have to wait for the next chapter to find out! I actually had this chapter ready yesterday and couldn't wait til Wednesday to post it. Thank the impatient side of my personality! 

Please let me know what you think by voting and leaving a comment.

Don't forget to smile at least once a day :)