Love or Duty?

Zuko's POV

There was Mai looking ready to kill and I don't even blame Katara for running. Hell, I wanted to run.

"So I guess your plan is going great then?" Mai said her words filled with sarcasm.

"Oh . . . um well . . ." I stuttered.

"That answers my question." Mai interrupted making her way towards the window. "If it was about faking it then you would have that cocky smirk feeling proud of yourself."

Wow, I didn't expect that. I had no clue what to say but I have never lied to her. There was something more with Katara and that kiss was amazing.

"Do you even have feelings for me?" Mai suddenly spoke and turned to me.

"Of course I do." I said right away.

"I mean do you love me?" She asked and I froze. We have never said 'I love you' to each other. "Because I don't think what we have is love. I can tell you care about me but I have never seen you look at me like I just witnessed with her."

I stared at my bed, thinking about all the years spent with Mai. We knew each other better than anyone but never anything too personal. I never got jealous and every time I saw or even thought about Katara with Jet I got angry. 

"I do care about you Mai. You are the only person I really care about. But I think you're right. I don't think I love you and if you think about it neither do you." I answered with full honesty. Mai has been there for me and I was there when her parents stifled her spirit. That's the reason I got mad when people said she was emotionless. None of them knew the whole story.

"You know, I had a crush on you when we were younger. I was surprised when we actually started dating. I always thought guys wanted a girl like Ty Lee." She said, "But then this relationship became about duty. Attending fancy dinners together and our fathers planning out our future." 

At this, she paused and looked at me. She held my hand but it wasn't the same as Katara. And she knew it too.

"I don't love you Zuko but you're right, I do care about you. I care about you that I'm going to break up with you."

I know it's kinda small but I hope you guys like it. Please hit that little star and leave a comment if you feel like it.

What do you think is going through Katara's mind right now? Will she keep it to herself? Does she regret it? Guess we'll find out heehee

Don't forget to smile at least once a day :)