Chapter 8

Kora

Kora

"Welcome home ma."

I could feel the maid reach out to me the moment she opened the front door so I could get in but I just didn't give a damn. I must have given her a scare because no one had seen me in the state I was in, in such a long time. I didn't even understand the state I was in, all I knew is I was upset and I needed to talk to her. I needed to see her. She was the only one that could explain why he had changed. I don't know why I felt that way but something inside of me wanted to believe she knew something, anything at all that could explain why what happened had happened.

"Kora!" I heard my mum yell my name as I rushed up the stairs while Mike's toy rattled as he coo'ed. She must have been carrying him at that moment.

It was like everyone could see how upset I was. Especially since I was attracting a lot of eyes with the way my footsteps echoed down the hallway while I hurriedly cleaned the tears off my face, trying to hold on till I got to where my mind was leading me to now, to the second room at the end of the hallway. My heart was racing. Why wouldn't it when it was breaking into pieces every time I took a breath. I could still hear them, his words to me, the very words that crushed my soul.

I wanted to inhale, but it was so hard. It was so hard keeping my mind in one place. How could he? Why did he? There had to be some sort of an explanation. Something must have happened at school. Something that had made him change his mind.

"Kora!" Mum kept yelling my name. I could tell she was climbing up the stairs now as her voice became really close.

I kept my eyes glued to the halfway opened brown door as I heard faint chuckles coming from inside and the moment I barged in, it made her stop laughing for a minute. I watched Racheal's cold gaze shift to me, glaring at me with her phone still glued to her ears. She wasn't surprised I had just walked into her room for the first time in both our lives, but the look on her face just spelled it out.

Can I help you?

With the way she raised her thick brows at me, that had to be what she was thinking. I took a deep breath, pretending to not notice or care about the new color of her hair. Brown. That was not all, she must have had a breast enlargement because I could have sworn her breasts weren't as big six months back.

Why was I even concerned about her boobs?

I returned her cold glare.
There was no way she really wanted us to talk when she still had someone at the other end of her phone. My expression told her just that. I watched her roll her eyes.

"Stephanie, give me a second. I'm going to call you back real soon okay?" I heard her say right before she slowly took her phone away from her ear and hung up, holding it firm in her palms. She exhaled and then slowly raised her head to mine.

"What?" Now she was referring to me.
I could feel how my feet wanted to take more steps to her. It was already making those decisions without me even knowing, next thing I knew, I was almost close to her king sized bed. I could tell she was a bit shocked with the way she kept staring at me with her brows up and a side of her tiny lips upturned.