Chapter 34

Kora

Kora

It was a long way down the hall from Grace's room to mine. I'd have loved to sleep over, but I didn't have any spare clothes, and it wasn't like Grace's could fit anyway. What was it with rich people and really skinny figures?

Grace had asked me to move in with her, and be her roommate, since she didn't really have any, neither did I. We had those big rooms all to ourselves, not like I had a choice. I wasn't too good with people, and Mum knew that. That was why she didn't push it, plus, not all rich kids love living on campus anyway. I mean don't get me wrong, NAUN had one of the best accommodations I had ever seen, but home was home. Who would ever want to give up sleeping in their own beds and being attended to by maids for anything?

I rubbed my arms to keep myself warm, letting out an exasperated sigh. Talking about home, made me so sad all of a sudden. Mum and I had left things on a rough patch, the last time I went back. I still couldn't believe she had said all that to me. That she blamed me for everything that had happened to her. I mean she wasn't entirely wrong, she left her first husband, because i told her he always asked me to touch his penis, the second was just as horrible as the one before him. He used to hit me, and then her too.

He abused her physically and verbally, of course she had to leave. What sane woman wouldn't? The third wasn't entirely my fault, he was a drunk, and a drug addict. How was any of that my fault? And the fourth, trust me, you don't want to know about that guy, or his family. Let's just say I hate talking about him. Not like I talked about any of my mother's exs', but that one, that one, neither I or my mum could ever talk about him without bringing tears to both our eyes. She hated him just as much as I did, and we promised to forget, and never talk about him ever again-

"Kora."

I froze for a second, not daring to move when I heard my name. I didn't freeze because I heard my name, I froze because I knew exactly who it was that had called me. I hesitated for a while, placing a hand on my left cheek, where Seven had slapped me. Last I checked, I could still see her prints perfectly carved on my skin, and that was just five minutes ago. I could still feel it. You know when an African tells you that they could slap you, and forget their hands on your face, yeah, that was exactly what Seven had done to me. My cheek was still so sore, and my jaw was numb. I had spent the entire afternoon wondering if she lifted weights or something.

God, I couldn't let him see me like this. It was bad enough he had seen all that had happened earlier, the last thing I needed was giving him something to worry about. Even though he didn't stand up for me, or defend me out there, I knew it wasn't his fault. I knew I couldn't possibly blame him for it. I knew he had found me at that moment, to make up for it. I knew he couldn't possibly pretend to not care about me. Luke loved me. No matter how much he pushed me away, and tried to pretend like he didn't, I knew he still did. I knew he loved me.

I took a deep breath, and then turned to him. Trying not to get too excited, even when my heart raced so fast, just watching him stand a few steps in front of me with his eyes glued on me.