Chapter 73

Kora

Kora

The entire class was so uneasy, rowdy too. All I wanted to do was focus on the book in front of me, but they wouldn't just stop talking about the picture someone had taken of Jeremiah and Oma at the restaurant close to school, which had somehow managed to take over the internet. They wouldn't stop talking about how they were still together after Jeremiah had announced the call off of their engagement.

Lunch? Really?

Scoff.

So what, Kora, why are you even thinking about it? Why are you bothered by any of it? So what if they had Lunch together? It was what every couple did.

"I wasn't bothered. I wasn't bothered at all by it. I couldn't be."

Those were the words I kept telling myself, managing to pretend like I was so focused on the book in front of me, to even care about anything everyone was saying behind me. Some couldn't stop laughing at me.

"I always knew they could never be separated." I could recognize Divine's voice from behind me. Why wouldn't I, when she and her friends always made sure I had a hard time. "I feel so sorry for some people that thought they had a chance to tear them apart. You go hear word."

I didn't even have to turn to imagine her gaze burning a hole behind my skull. She was obviously referring to me.

"I can tell that they are about to die from so much jealousy and frustration. Tsk tsk tsk."

"Concentrate, Kora," I whispered to myself, taking a deep breath. "Concentrate." Why did I have to let anything they said bother me? Oma and Jeremiah were engaged after all. It's not like I expected him to call of his engagement to be with me. I knew there was no way in hell I was ever going to stand a chance, and trust me, it had nothing to do with my confidence, okay maybe it did. Just a little bit, but come on, this is me, and they were them. Plus, with everything that had happened, with everything he now knew about me, I knew there was no way he was going to look at me now without feeling some type of-

"Boom!"

I almost felt my soul leave my body in fright the moment someone hit my table like that. I needed a moment. A moment to catch my breath before figuring out who it was. God I was so caught off guard, and while I was in the process of healing, I heard them chuckle as they made a semi circle around me. I slowly raised my head, taking a deep breath and inhaling the strong scent of their mixed perfumes. I could count about five of them, all girls.

For a second, for just a tiny second, I had almost forgotten I still owned a black card to my name. Damn that black card.

"Madam."

I slowly turned to the girl that had started the circle, my gaze concentrated on her purple lipstick, as they smudged around her lips while she chewed her gum in a frightening manner.