Chapter 108

Kora

I tried.
It was so hard but I always tried to keep my chin up and a bright smile on my face when I was with him. It had been three days since my encounter with Jer's father, and up until that moment, Jeremiah didn't know a thing about what happened.

Lunch was good, your Dad was amazing

I didn't know why I had to lie or cover up for Benjamin but a part of me did it not to protect his father, but to protect him, Jeremiah.

A lot had happened since the shooting. To Jeremiah, he was starting to really live again. The shooting had opened a chapter of a new life for him, a better life. He got his mother back and inside the mansion where he got to be with her everyday, he got his family back and his father promised to try to be better. They went out on dates more often too, let's just say Benjamin was trying to make up for all the days they had lost and it made Jeremiah so happy just talking about it. If I told him his father had tried to threaten my safety if I didn't leave him, God knows how hurt Jerry was going to be. I was doing it for him.

I felt his hand squeeze mine, totally bringing me back to consciousness. I was doing it again, losing myself in my thoughts. I turned to the huge screen in front of us, I couldn't believe I had missed twenty minutes worth of screen time and I had missed the part of the movie that had really mattered, the part that we had been waiting for. It was hard to concentrate, I was getting worse at it everyday and I didn't want Jeremiah to get a hang of it. I adjusted in my seat and tried to focus on the movie when I heard a few laughs from around me, everyone seemed to find the scene that was playing funny except me, even Jeremiah was laughing. This was supposed to be our movie day, it was all we ever talked about all week and even got early tickets to see it and now, I was ruining it. I rolled my eyes when I heard my phone start to ring and it was making a whole lot of noise. I had to reach for it before I made a lot of people upset for causing so much distractions.

I stared at my Mum's name and picture on my screen, wondering  why she was suddenly calling me when she knew I was at the cinema and it wasn't cool to take calls in the cinema hall while the tapes were rolling, she of all people knew that. I couldn't shake off the feeling that there might have been something wrong. Mum and I were still trying to settle in our new house ever since we left the Olori's mansion. It wasn't as big as the other houses we were used to but it was perfect for three people. Besides, it was what my mum could afford until she sorted out things with the houses my Dad left in her name. Maybe she needed something or maybe something happened?

"Mum." I whispered, turning to my side and placing a hand beside my mouth. "Mum, I can't talk now, I'm at the—" I frowned when I heard the tone of my mum's voice. It looked like something was bothering her. Like she was at the verge of crying. Like she was scared of something. "Mum, of course not. I've been out with Jer all day remember? I thought you agreed you were going to leave Micheal at the day care since you had stuff to attend to?... W-wait, slow down." I wanted to hear her but it was hard to hear her with the way her voice was breaking. "What do you mean you left him there and he's not there anymore? What do you mean he's missing?"

My head was spinning. I couldn't bring myself to understand my mother's words right until I slowly pulled my phone from my face

"Everything okay?" Jeremiah must have heard my conversation with my mum since he was sitting right beside me, plus my horrific mood wasn't exactly invincible.

I opened my mouth to speak but I just didn't have words.

"I-I think I have to go home now." I grabbed my bag slowly.

"Wait why? The movie only just started."
I turned to him quickly. This was a really important situation that I couldn't delay any longer.

"I'm really sorry, my mum needs me."