Chapter 69

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

I stormed into the rooftop, pushing the door with a force so full that it made a loud thud the moment it came in contact with the wall, pulling Kora right behind me. I was still so upset. I was breathing so fast now.  I stopped a few paces close to the pavement, causing Kora to stop too, making sure I didn't let go of her hand. I needed sometime to cool off. A few seconds. I drew a deep breath and then another one, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't shake it off. I couldn't shake off everything Kingsley had told me, and most especially, I couldn't shake off the picture of her looking so helpless in front of Charles, seconds ago. I hated it.

It wasn't working. I was really bad at hiding how I felt. Very terrible at it, plus the silence was deafening. I stomped my feet right before I turned to her. She looked away immediately, burying her gaze on the ground like she was trying to avoid facial contact with me. I exhaled and then turned to our joined hands. I swallowed hard when I saw them. I could see them now. The stitches on her wrist. They were a bit faint but I could still see them as I looked closely. It was true after all. Kingsley had told the truth. She pulled her hand away the moment she noticed I was staring at her.

"Is it true?" I asked her. She slowly raised her head to me. "Is it true what he did to you three years ago?" I pushed on. "Is that why you're so scared of him? Is that why you were that way days ago?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."
She was lying. Probably because she was either embarrassed by it or she just didn't want to talk about it.

"You're lying."

"I'm not lying." She said. "It's not that deep. I just had a panic attack and that's it."

"Then explain this." I grabbed her hand again, and then raised it up so she could see the scar on her wrist. "Explain why this happened. Why you had to hurt yourself like this. Wasn't it because of him? What he did to you?"

She let out a frustrated exhale, taking fast breaths.

"Let go of me."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I pushed on. I didn't care what she said. I was so upset, too upset to. She pulled her hand away from me.

"Because it wasn't any of your business. It still isn't. Why on earth are you asking all these questions? Did you do a background check on me?" She looked into my eyes well enough for me to know that she was starting to get so irritated.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"You had no right. No right at all to involve yourself in my business, let alone do a check on me."

"Then why did you do it?!" I yelled at her as hard as I could. "Why did you cry in front of him? In front of all of them, when I asked you not to?! Don't cry in front of anyone, if you have to cry, come find me, cry only in front of me. Is that so hard to understand? Up until now, do you not understand how I feel? Can't you see me? Are you a fool? Are you blind?! Can't you tell I've fallen for you? I'm crazy about you and I'm mad at myself that I care so much, even when I'm not supposed to. How am I supposed to feel when you're crying in front of other people and letting them treat and bully you like that?!"