Chapter 76

Kora

Kora

The school's clinic.

I hated being in the school's clinic. I hated being in clinics entirely. Ever since three years ago, I had tried so hard to avoid ever visiting a hospital as hard as I could, but this time, being in the clinic wasn't a bad idea after all. I could last the whole day just laying in that bed, pretending to be asleep so no one bothered or noticed me. I didn't need anyone's pity, I didn't need to be with anyone. I just wanted to be alone, and pretending like I was asleep was the only way I could get the privacy I needed. Truth is, I was so scared to open my eyes. I was really scared to open my eyes after finding out that the entire school was probably talking about me. Talking about the girl that tried to destroy the Orji's by faking her rape, and I was scared to actually see how they looked at me. That was why I kept my eyes closed. I could hear two girls chattering in the room, and then after about five minutes, the chattering stopped.

"You can open your eyes now." I froze. It looked like I wasn't alone after all. Luke was still there. Had he been sitting there watching me all along? "Everyone's gone."

Did he mean it? Was everyone really gone? Was it okay for me to open my eyes? How on earth did he know I had been pretending. Oh, I forgot, it was Luke, sometimes it felt like Luke knew me better than I knew myself. He was always good at predicting what I did. At reading me. Of course he could see I was faking it. But then again, the noise had stopped, and the room felt so quiet, really calm, it felt like we were alone. It also felt like it was safe for me to open my eyes. I opened my eyes slowly. Taking my time. The ceiling fan was the first thing to catch my attention, right before I slowly rolled my eyes so they could catch a glimpse of Luke. He was sitting right beside me with his legs crossed, and his arms folded. I exhaled and then tried to sit up immediately.

"Ouch." I had almost forgotten I still had a sprained knee and it hurt so badly, even though it was covered in a bandage. He sat up quickly and then leaned closer to help me, not like I needed his help anyway. I was doing pretty well on my own.

"Easy." He told me, holding on tightly to my arm until I was sitting fully now. "Are you okay?"

I turned to him, my eyes taking a long look at his really bright eyes. I was almost lost in them for a moment. I swallowed hard and then slowly pulled my arm away from him.

"I'm fine." I forced a smile on my face, so he didn't have to worry much about me. He exhaled. I knew he didn't buy it.

"You still have to stay here a little longer. The nurse said your sprain isn't major, and you'd be fine in a couple of hours."

Oh, like that was the most of my problems.

"Oh." I turned to my bandaged leg. So much for playing handball with the team, wasn't it? I slowly turned back to Luke. "Thank you." I told him. At least I knew how to be grateful. "For helping me back there and for staying here with me too."