Chapter 28

Kora

Kora

I slammed the door, the moment I got down from the Uber.

"You wan break my door?"

I ignored the driver completely as I rushed towards the front gate. I began to hit the gate with all my strength.

"Ahmed!" I hit the gate again and again. "Ahmed!"
The peep through hole opened immediately, and I saw an eye peep through to me.

"Aunty Kora?"

"Ahmed, open the gate!" I ordered. It only took a few seconds before I heard a creaking sound, and then the gate opened quickly.

"Aunty kora, wetin happen?" I could hear the concern laced in his voice, but I just didn't care enough to explain to him, I didn't have to. The only person I needed to talk to, was in that big house right in front of me. I hurried as fast as I could, rushing to the front door. It was closed. How late was it anyway? It looked like everyone was already asleep or preparing to sleep. I started to bang at the front door. I wasn't going to stop until someone opened it.

I kept hitting the door as hard as I could, even though my hands were getting bruised and numb. The door opened after a few seconds.

"Second young madam." I could hear the surprise in her voice, and the look in her eyes as the maid stared at me.

"Where is he?" I asked her. I was sure I had even confused her the more. She must have been thinking who it was I was referring to.

"Kora?" I turned to the stairs the moment I heard my mother's voice. I watched her pull her robe tighter on her skin to cover her really tiny nightdress. She had a dashing look of surprise on her face. "Honey," she walked down the stairs, and then turned to the wall clock. She turned back to me. "How are you here and not in school, and so late?"

I let out an exhale, and rushed to the stairs. I knew exactly where he was. I could tell I had completely startled my mum with the way she was running up the stairs after me, yelling my name as loud as she could. I kept walking. All the questions I wanted to ask him flooding my head, as I further approached the brown door. I turned the knob, and then barged in.

There he was, Mr Peter Olori. The man who had become the antagonist of my story from that moment. The man that had deprived me of my love and my happiness. Watching him sit still the way he did, even after I had barged into his room, with his eyes still glued to his paper from behind his rectangular glasses, made me even more irritated.

"Kora!" I heard my mother yell my name as she rushed into the room, and that gave him the morale to finally drop his paper and raise his head to me. Exactly what I was waiting for.

"What is the meaning of this?!" He raised his voice as he glared at me.

"Peter," my mother rushed further into the scene. Close enough to where I stood with my eyes focused on the potbellied man in front of me. I was so angry. "Peter, please don't be upset." My mum said in my defense. "Kora just had a long day at school today. I'll talk to her."