Thirteen

Francisco Lachowski as Mason Stone

Kaelin

I feel the slight pain in my hand as she stumbles backwards. I know there will be no going back from what I just did. I brace myself for her to come back at me.

"You fucking asshole!" Ayden screams. Blood seeps from her nose and her lip is split. She spits out blood and wipes her face with her sleeve. Before I can move, her fist slams into my stomach sending me flying into the lockers behind me. I gasp as I try to get air back into my lungs. Pain envelopes my head and my back, but I hastily shake it off.

I spit on the ground and we both step forward to attack again. I raise my fist but I'm pulled away before I can hit her. Axel is dragging me away from the scene.

"LET ME AT HER!" I scream while trying to pry myself out of Axel's arms. "LET ME AT THAT FUCKING BITCH!" I fight tooth and nail against Axel as my view of Ayden is cut off by the crowd. I can hear Ayden screaming insults at me from the other end of the hallway. I catch a glimpse of her being pulled back by Ethan and Dryden.

"Kaelin, please stop fighting me." Axel whispers in my ear while turning the corner. I huff and continue to struggle against him. A thought strikes me while he walks with me. A plan.

I stomp as hard as I can on his foot, and, while he's in pain, I shove him to the floor and take off after Ayden. No matter how angry I am at her, I will not leave her alone with a monster like Dryden.

I just turn the corner when I'm shoved into an empty classroom. I stumble but manage to keep my balance. I turn and get ready to scream at the person who pushed me, but the words die in my throat.

He looks exactly the same. His perfect brown hair. Beautiful hazel eyes. And easy smile.

"Mason?" I whisper. My voice cracks slightly.

"Kaelin." He says with a slight smile. He opens his arms and without a thought I fly into them, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck. I bury my face in his shoulder as he pulls me closer to him. I can feel every breath he lets out and every beat of his heart. It's all so familiar, as if he never left.

Wait. He left me. I'm supposed to be mad. I push out of his arms and slap him. I can tell by his calm face that he knows he deserved it.

"Don't you ever just leave me again-" my voice breaks off. "I... I need you Mason." I stare at my shoes while clenching my hands tightly at my sides. He lifts my chin up to meet his eyes, which are full of regret.

"I will never leave you again. I promise." He breathes. His breath smells like mint. It's  so familiar to me. He embraces me. I grip his shirt, willing him to never ever leave me again. Every bit of his body is familiar to me. I run my hands along his back to make sure he's real.

SMACK. The door flies open and hits the wall. I startle and turn around in Mason's arms. A seething Nolan and a stony faced Axel stand in the doorway. Nolan's face flicks from Mason to me before settling on the arm around my shoulders.

"Mason." Is all Nolan says.

"Nolan." Mason replies. "What do you want?"

Nolan's jaw clenches as he stares at Mason. I can feel the anger radiated off of him. I feel as if I'm caught between two great warriors who are ready to fight. Nolan's gaze settles on my face.

"Kaelin," He says. "Let's go."

I take a step back into Mason. I find comfort in his warm embrace that held me together for so long. "No. I'm good. Fuck off Nolan." I say before adding, "You too, Axel."

"Kaelin get your ass over here. Right. Now." Nolan says through gritted teeth.

"She said no." Mason steps in front of me protectively. "I suggest you get the fuck out."

The bell rings, signalling the end of lunch. Axel practically drags Nolan out of the classroom.

"This isn't over Kaelin!" Nolan calls as he disappears out the door.

My eyes heat up while my vision turns glassy. The fight with my best friend and the return of Mason are both overwhelming me. I feel Mason's hands on my face. I can't let him see me cry. I won't be weak.

I take off down that hallway, my backpack bumping into my back as my feet pound the ground. I fling the door open and sprint towards my house. I feel a lone tear stray down my cheek. My eyes sting as I hold back the tears that are waiting to be spilt while wiping away the one that has managed to slide down my cheek.

I faintly hear someone calling my name. I won't let anyone see me cry. I'm not weak and I don't need anyone's pity. I continue to run until I reach my house. I frantically shake my keys while trying to unlock my door. In my haste, I drop them with a clatter.

"These fucking fuckers." I mutter while reaching for them. Snatching them into my hands, I unlock the door and shove my way in. I'm about to slam the door when a hand keeps it open. I attempt to close the door again when it opens and I stumble backwards.

I hit the wall with a soft flood.

And that's the last straw.

I burst into tears.

My sobs echo in my empty house. I can feel arms around me, cradling me into a masculine chest. My tears soak his chest as I continue to sob.

I cry for Ayden. For Mason. For all the tears I have refused to shed. For my father. My injuries.

I guess it's just the pressure of life.

And I can't handle it.

"It's okay Kaelin." He whispers in my hair while kissing the top of my head. "You're okay."

I sink to my knees, along with him. I'm sitting on his lap with my head buried in his chest.

"Nolan." I whisper as he runs his hands through my hair. "Don't leave me." His arms tighten around me.

"I'm not. I'm staying right here." He breathes. I begin to relax in his hold. Suddenly, I'm ripped from Nolan's hold and slammed into a rock hard chest. I squeal in terror. Who's holding me? My captor's arm snakes around my waist and keeps my face tucked into his body.

"I've got it from here." Mason, or otherwise known as my captor, purrs. His other arms wraps around my shoulders, hugging me to his body.

"Get the fuck out of here!" Nolan yells. His loud voice causes my crying to restart. Mason lightly shushes me while running a hand soothingly through my hair.

"Now look at what you've done." Mason whispers. I continue to cry softly into his chest. He continues to stroke my hair.

"Why are you even here?" Nolan says. "Don't you have class?"

"Don't you?" Mason retorts.

"Let's just put her in bed or something." Nolan mutters. A hand grabs my arm and pulls me away from Mason. I tiredly fall onto Nolan.

"Give her back." Mason says, grabbing my other arm and pulling me back towards him.

"I had her first."

"And I had her second, your point?"

"Let me do it."

"I will do it."

I block out there arguing and simply curl up on the floor. I close my eyes and run my fingers along the soft carpet.

The last thing I feel is being lifted up into a pair of muscular arms. And, I found myself not caring who's.

A/N

So. Thoughts on Mason Stone please, I'm not sure about him yet.

Also. Do you prefer Mason or Nolan?

Please vote and comment. Thanks lovelies!

-Noni