Thirty - Four

Kaelin

My arm was freed from the sling a week ago.

Two weeks too late. My girls had to forfeit their semi final because of my "injury", when in reality Gage would not have let me go anyways.

It hurt when they told me, yet none of them were angry with me. This was my last season with them and we were supposed to go all the way. But we didn't... because of me.

I grab my last piece of straight hair and begin to curl it. Nolan's team is still in the final and, being the amazing girlfriend I am, I'm going to watch.

Hannah sits on the beanbag chair in the corner of my room, on her phone as per usual. Her honey blonde hair is piled atop her head in a messy bun. She decided that she's not trying to impress anyone so, "why should I give a fucking duckling?" Were her choice words.

I mean, I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Who am I kidding? Of course I want to look good for Nolan.

I finish my hair and wander over to my freshly organized closet to compensate all of the clothes I stole from Nolan. I grab one of his grey hockey hoodies and pair it with a pair of black ripped jeans and some vans. After looking myself over, I feel like the outfit is missing something.

Hannah finally looks up from her phone and assesses my clothes. "Oh!" She exclaims before scampering into my closet. When she emerges, she's grasping a little black jacket I had long forgot about. "This will go perfect with that!"

I put it on and realize that she is right.

"Alright now that you're looking perfect as fuck can we go?" Hannah says while grabbing her bag.

I glance at myself and begin to doubt that I should go. My body has gotten significantly thinner and suddenly I don't feel comfortable in my own skin. The feeling is foreign to me; I've always felt confident.

But now...

Now my clothes seem to hang off of me and my cheeks have hollowed despite my efforts to cover it with makeup. My eyes that used to be such a hard blue have become dull and sunken in. It hurts to look at myself now.

"Kaelin..." Hannah grabs my hand and turns me to face her. "You look beautiful. You have been to hell and back yet you hold your head up and try to be positive. I have more respect for you now than I have ever before. Nothing can change who you are inside. Stop doubting yourself, Kae, because no matter what you'll always be a Viper."

She pauses and straightens my jacket slightly. My eyes begin to tear up from her words. "And you'll always be my best friend who stands up for me, inspires me every single fucking day and an amazing person. There's a reason Nolan loves you, and it sure as hell isn't just your beautiful appearance."

By the end of her speech tears are leaking down my cheeks. I wrap my arms around her and hug her tight. How the fuck am I going to live without her next year?

"I love you Hannah," I sob into her shoulder.

She pulls back and smiles at me. "Now wipe away your fucking tears and let's go," then her smile morphs into a smirk. "Trinity has something special planned."

//

Hannah and I walk into the hockey arena and are immediately greeted by a huge crowd to watch the finals. On one side, I see tons of familiar faces, including Nolan's mom, Ella.

It makes me wonder about my own mom, but I don't really care. She disappeared when my dad showed up and all I can hope is that she's happy with the side she chose. For now, no one knows that I'm living on my own off of the money my dad's company left us.