Chapter Nine: Buddies

You who have read my other book; Do you remember that creepy stalker-guy I talked about in one of the first chapters? Well, he's moved on to my best friend now...

Birds perky chirping woke me up.

"Not another day," I moaned, rolling over. "I haven't even gotten over yesterday yet."

Dear Diary,

I wrote with the pen and notepad.

Yesterday was a crazy day. I was brutally abducted by four adolescent men in an ice cream truck. Not only was the ice cream was drugged, but the flavor was terrible.

After a failed escape attempt, I ended up being locked in a room and forced to go to sleep. Which, of course, I couldn't. So I spent the majority of my time crying quietly in the bathroom and wishing for some cake.

Now that that's all away, and I finished mourning the loss of my old life, I can begin fighting for it. Which I guess is a bit backwards, but whatever.

I have decided to do whatever it takes to get myself out of here.

Ttyl if I'm still alive.

-Me.

I laid the pen back down on the paper. If I die, hopefully this will get somewhere.

To put it nicely, my night was terrible.

I needed some kind of weapon.

I walked over to the door, and jiggled it. Locked.

Well, it's a good thing I always carried bobby pins!

I took one from my pocket, and began trying to pick the lock.

After a minute or so, I gave up.

"This always works in the movies!" I complained. "What gives?"

I kicked the door as hard as I could in frustration, and to my absolute surprise, the door opened!

Aha!

After checking for people, I raced down the halls and down the stairs as fast as quietly possible.

When I reached the end of the stairs, I noticed that there was an alarm above the door. Drat.

I spun around, walking down the hall until it opened up into an open concept kitchen, living, and dining room.

The pantry was first on my list. I located it next to the oven, and quickly grabbed a box of granola bars and kettle-cooked chips.

I shut the door and began opening drawers, trying to locate the knives.

Finally, I found them and reached for one eagerly.

"Ouch!" I exclaimed, poking my finger. "Sharp!"

I selected one of the smaller, sharper ones.

Then, a sound made me freeze.

Footsteps coming from the stairs. I darted into the pantry just in time.

I heard Cole walking down, whistling to himself. Then he began to sing.

"Do you ever feeel? Like a plastic baaaag. Drifting through the wiiiind, wanting to staaart agaaiiiinnnnn?"

Lord, no. Make it stop!

"I GOT THE EYE OF THE TIGER! FIRE! DANCING THOUGH THE FIRE CAUSEI AM THE CHAMPION! AND YOUR GOING TO HEAR ME ROOOOAAAARRRR!"

Those weren't even the right lyrics!

Suddenly he stopped. "Maybe I should go check on Caroline."

No!

"No!" I blurted out, then covered my mouth in shock. Cole paused.

"Who's there?"

I acted quickly, "It's a ghoooosstt, OoOoOooOoooo..."

He gasped, "A ghost? Oh no, my mom told me never to talk to ghosts. Or strangers. Or ghost strangers. Or strange ghosts!"

"Here's what you have to do," I said. "Go and buy three pounds of cheese. Or else. OoooooOoooOoooOoooo."

He gave a squeak, and I heard his feet dash away. That'd keep him busy for a while.

I returned to my room swiftly, and shut the door. I had a good haul.

I sat on my bed and spread my loot out before me.

Cole seemed to be the child of the group. Considering this, he probably isn't taken too seriously, so I'm starting to wonder if he'd be the best choice.

Miles seemed to be the leader of sorts, so buddying up with him isn't even an option. Plus, I don't like the way he looks at me. Like he wants to know all my secrets. Well- my secrets are for me only.

Aiden, however, would probably be the best option. I could just fluff up his ego a bit, and get him on my side.

That decides it, Aiden will now be my best friend.

Besides the fact that he hates me, I think I made a good choice.

The door opened, and Ah- speak of the devil. I quickly pulled the covers down and hid my stash.

Aiden walked in, his hands in his pockets.

"So, I guess you have to eat to survive, huh," He said, leaning against the wall.

"Wow, you must have gotten an A in biology," I said.

He rolled his eyes, "Let's just go downstairs."

He then walked out, leaving me no choice but to follow him. I may need to rethink my choice.

Aiden's voice rang out, "Are you coming?"

I jumped off the bed and scurried after him.

As I caught up and fell into step behind him, I said, "You realize that I haven't had anything to drink in a long time, right?"

There was a pause.

He didn't even turn around. "Are you waiting for me to care? Because you'll die of dehydration before then."

I let out a growl, and decided to not respond to that one. Instead, I changed the subject.

"It sure sucks that I'm stuck here, away from my family..."

He ignored me, and I gave up.

We walked without talking down the stairs and to the kitchen.