Chapter Thirteen: Fear is Scary

Life is like you. Datable.

After the incident, I was freaked out.

Even after I'd torn down the picture and crumbled up the paper, I still barely slept at all that night, and I woke up more tired than I had been when I went to sleep.

My mind said, 'Coffee'.

'Good thinking mind', I thought back.

I slid off my bed, and to my delight, I found a pair of grey sweatpants and a tee shirt laying on the floor in front of my door.

I changed into them quickly, happy to be out of those old clothes, and made my way down the stairs.

Everyone but Garret was already down there, who, I had learned, was usually the latest sleeper.

They were all seated at the bar, and they chattered as I walked past them to the pantry. My hands grabbed a box of scones, and I took them with me and sat by myself at the wooden table.

After a bit, Aiden got up off his chair and joined me, sitting down.

"What's up with you? You're even more antisocial than normal," He informed me.

I shrugged, opening the box and selecting a scone. However, before it could reach my mouth, he plucked it away and popped it into his own mouth.

Then he paused mid-chew at my stare. "Wait, were you going to eat that?"

I just scowled and took another scone, which made his frown deeper.

"What, no comeback? No insult? No statement that you wish death upon me?"

"No. Not today," I sighed, getting another scone.

His jaw dropped.

"Caroline, are you okay?" Miles called from at the counter, sounding concerned.

"I'm fine," I said, waving him away. "Go back to your eating."

Cole snorted, "Don't have to tell me twice!" And he dug in to his bagel.

Aiden gave me a weird look, but didn't say anything and returned to his friend's at the counter.

"How much longer will you be here?" Miles asked the girls.

"Hopefully a while," Adeline smiled.

"Hopefully not too long," Cate muttered at the same time.

Then they looked at each other and smiled. They were pretty much polar opposites.

I continued to pick at my food until finally, Adeline stood up.

"PSA announcement,"She began. "In honor of Cole and my's six months anniversary, I am taking you all out for a nice lunch at La Vie de la Nourriture."

From upstairs I heard frantic running and a voice yell from the top of the stairs, "I was sleeping, but then I heard the french word for food!"

"Yay!" She clasped her hands together happily as Garret descended the stairway. "Then it's settled. We'll all go!"

My ears perked up. "All of us?"

"Not you," Aiden glare at me. His arms were crossed as he literally looked down on me.

Adeline smacked the back of his head, "Yes, her. Besides, you too could use some time like this for settling your argument. You look like you need it."

Then she turned to me and said, "It's a wonder you're still with him."

I just shrugged. "Eh, he has money."

Garret smiled winningly and held open the door for us. "Lunch time!"

I looked at the clock. "It's 10:45."

"Brunch time!"

Cate flipped her long black hair behind her shoulder and stood. "Works for me."

As everyone chattered amongst themselves, Aiden grabbed my arm as I tried to walk past him, and he whispered lowly in my ear, "Try anything, and you'll find yourself in trouble."

I rolled my eyes. "I've been abducted. I'm already in trouble."

That's when he noticed my change of clothes and he scrunched up his nose. "Ew. You look like a grandmother."

"Well you smell like one," I shot back, pushing past him.

Miles was waiting for me at the doorway, and as I walked by, he fell into step beside me.

"How are you today?" He asked. Ugh, go away!

"Bad, and you talking is giving me a headache," I muttered, tired of everyone asking my questions.

As we reached the car, Miles climbed in first. And then I noticed something.

"Um, there's only one seat left," I said as Aiden stopped behind me.

"Wow, you're observant," Cate drawled.

I frowned. "So are we strapping Aiden to the top of the car?"

Adeline laughed that it was the funniest idea ever. But I was being serious.

"Just sit in his lap," Garret suggested and Miles's jaw dropped.

"No!" I cried.

Cate smiled mischievously. "If you don't want to, I will."

"Cate!" Adeline gasped, as if she was scandalized.

Aiden grimaced, but kept the act up. He slipped past me and settled into the seat.

I tried not to make a face as I slowly climbed in, but instead of sitting on top of him, I squished into the seat with him.

We pulled out of the driveway and I tried to pretend that this wasn't the most awkward position that I'd ever been in.

This day was off to a great start.