Chapter Thirty: The Mystery

Short chapter, just for SUSPENSE.

My worst nightmare?!

"A-a-a-asparagus?" I asked, my voice trembling.

Please no. Anything but. Anything but.

My fear of Asparagus began when I was just a small child. Seven, to be exact.

When I took one look at that green monster, I was scarred.

The deep green color, the spikes at the top that I was afraid would stab me in my sleep, and the sound it makes when eaten.

It was horrifying.

An impatient voice said, "No."

I sighed in relief, and felt like an elephant, no, an Aiden had been lifted from my chest. "Then you can't be all that bad."

It was quiet. And the stillness frightened me. "Or can I?"

The crunching of leaves came from behind me, and I whipped around. How'd he move so fast?

"Have you been wondering who's been leaving those notes?"

"I bet it's you," I told them.

"Well obviously," They said, suddenly behind me again, I spun, but saw no one.

"I've wanted you gone from the moment I saw you," They said. "But I've been patient. Waiting... and waiting... until finally... you ran. And oh- what a mistake that was."

Suddenly, a rock flew at my head.

I ducked just in time, and it slammed into a nearby tree.

"Woah, hold up," I said, straightening back up and holding up my hands. "Can't we just talk this through?"

"No."

Another rock was thrown, and I narrowly avoided it.

"Hey!" I shouted indignantly. "Quit throwing rocks at me!"

"Ok."

A branch was suddenly flung at me, and I darted to the side, just avoiding being hit.

"I was always planning my next move," They spoke again. "You think you know me- but you're wrong."

I paused. "If this is Cole, I'm going to be surprised."

"No..." They trailed off, behind me again.

I nearly stomped my foot out of frustration. "Stop doing that!"

"No thanks."

My patience was wearing thin, and I considered throwing a rock right back at them.

"You know, I had always planned to kill you," They continued. "But I must admit, you began to grow on me. I like you a lot actually, and for that, I really am sorry for what's about to happen."

I frowned, looking around at the trees, still seeing nothing. "What's about to happen?"

"You'll see."

I huffed, tired of his games.

"Are you done talking yet?" I asked in annoyance.

"Fine."

Then, a foot stepped out from behind the shadows. Then another foot. Then a leg. Then another leg. Then a hip. Then another hip. Until finally, the person came into view.

And I couldn't believe my eyes.