Chapter Twenty Three: Surprise!

Ooooo, who do you think is Noelani's (Caroline's) mate??

When we finally pulled back up to the house, I was almost done wrapping my head around the irony that I was Caroline Forbes.

"Here!" Cole announced, Aiden stopping the engine.

"Thanks," Cate dead panned. "I would have never known."

We got out of the car, and walked up to the front door, me and Aiden leading the pack.

Aiden reached for the door, and just when he was about to turn it, It slammed open by itself.

"AHHHHH!" I shouted, lunging back.

Aiden jumped back just in time to avoid being hit by the door. "Hey!"

Standing inside, was an old lady.

She had wavy brown hair and green eyes, and she looked about to burst from happiness.

"Miles!" She cried, pulling him in for a hug.

"And me too," Aiden added.

"Not now," she told him, and turned back to Miles. "How's my favorite son?"

"Um, I'm right here," Aiden said.

"I SAID NOT NOW!" She shouted, making me jump a bit.

"Kenzie!" A voice from the kitchen yelled. "Did you eat all the jalapeño chips?"

Cole's eyes bulged. "YOU INVITED MOM?!"

The lady, Kenzie, yelled back. "YES! And I'm proud of it!" Then she turned to Cole and shrugged. "I didn't invite her. She just shows up in places."

Another lady, probably in her early fifties, walked over to the doorframe. She had blonde hair and blue eyes, looking very similar to Cole.

"Hi mom!" Cole grinned.

"Cole!" She smiled very widely. "You look so handsome!" Then she turned to Mrs. Kenzie and said, "He gets it from me."

"It's true," Cole beamed, looking at us in pride.

The blonde lady turned to me. "My name's Cassie. Cole's mother. You are?"

"Caroline," I said without missing a beat. "I'm Aiden's girlfriend."

"Unfortunately," Aiden attempted to joke, but sounded all too serious.

"Really?" Mrs. Kenzie said, staring at me. "Why didn't I hear of this?"

"It just happened recently," Aiden assured her.

I considered telling her that my work name was the Gold Digger, but then I decided to be smart for once.

"Hmmm," She looked at us suspiciously.

We put our faces together and gave her a winning smile, but this only made her frown deepen.

"Come on in!" Mrs. Cassie invited with a sweep of her arm. "Make yourself at home."

"This is our home," Garret grumbled.

"I made a lovely dinner," She told us.

"YAY!" Cole exclaimed, pushing past us and walking inside.

Aiden gave me the 'One Wrong Move and You're Dead' look, and I simply blew him a kiss and followed after Cole.

"What's for dinner?" Miles asked, following as we all walked to the kitchen.

"Stuffed mushrooms, pork, and a vegetable," Mrs. Cassie told us.

"What are the mushrooms stuffed with?" Cole asked.

Mrs. Cassie smiled, "Love."

"My favorite!" Cole smiled.

Garret rolled his eyes and leaned towards me.

"Cole is a momma's boy," He complained to me.

I pushed down a smile as Miles asked, "What vegetable?"

Cassie said without looking back, "Asparagus."

I froze.

What did she just say?

Aiden cast a scared glance at me, and I didn't move.

Oh no.

"Wait, never mind, it's Brussel sprouts," She corrected, and I sighed with relief.

We all reached a long mahogany table, and pulled out seats.

I grabbed a plate and filled it with seared Brussel sprouts and bacon, a cut of pork, and some delicious looking mushrooms.

"So, where's dad?" Cole asked, shoveling food into his mouth with his fork.

Mrs. Cassie waved a dismissive hand in the air. "He's having a guys night with Mr. Jake."

"How long will your stay be?" Miles asked politely, cutting into his pork.

"Forever!" said Mrs. Kenzie.

We all stopped, our forks in front of our mouths.

"Kidding!" She laughed. "I'm only here until I leave."

I raised my eyebrows at Aiden. Very specific. I see this whole family was vague.

I stabbed a Brussel sprout with my fork and swallowed it, chewing thoughtfully.

"I don't have any extra rooms..." Miles trailed off awkwardly.

Mrs. Cassie piped up, "I can share with Kenzie."

"No," Aiden said, cutting his pork. "He means we have no rooms at all."

"What?" Mrs. Kenzie frowned. "Why? If you and Caroline dating, why can't you just share a room and give us the guest?"

Aiden choked on his freshly cut pork, and Garret pounded his back.

Mrs. Kenzie frowned. "Too soon?"

"Way too soon," Aiden said.

"Actually," I cut in, "I don't mind sharing a room with him."

Maybe he had a phone in there? It seemed impossible that there were no phones in the entire house.

Aiden groaned, and slid out from the table. "Excuse me, I'm going to bed. No disturbances. "

I quickly followed, scooting my chair out, "I'll come."

He muttered under his breath without turning around and I took it as a yes.