I'm Sorry

Suggested by: JassyJass15

"Alexander, I have something important to tell you." 

Alec turned his attention toward Magnus as he yanked on his gear jacket, "Mags, I'm sorry, but I'm really late. Can it wait?" 

Magnus stared at him for a second, "I just said it was important, but I guess it can wait." He was mildly annoyed, but Alec was too focused on saving the world that he didn't notice. 

"Thanks, I'll see you later, okay?" Alec leaned in toward Magnus and kissed him on the mouth. It ended up being just a quick peck, not the long kiss Magnus craved at the moment. He watched Alec head out the door and toward the institute. A subconscious smile crept onto his lips. Damn that Shadowhunter for always making me smile, even when I'm annoyed with him, Magnus thought as he closed the door. His hand moved to smooth down the fabric of his shirt. He lingered for a minute over his stomach. A sigh slipped past his lips. Hopefully Alec comes home soon. 

A few hours later, Magnus' phone buzzed. It was a text from Alec, saying, "Almost home."

A smile formed on Magnus' face as he typed out a reply, "Can't wait to see you. I have some important news, too." 

"From this morning?" 

"Yes." 

The conversation, stopped, but Magnus knew that Alec was going to step through that door... any... minute... now. The door opened, making Magnus smile. He could always tell when Alec was almost home. "I'm home," Alec called out. 

"Here," Magnus called back from the couch. He heard Alec's footsteps approach. Suddenly, Alec's lips were on his own. The kiss surprised him, but he quickly regained his composure and kissed Alec back. Alec's arms encircled Magnus' waist. Magnus wrapped his arms around Alec's neck, just as Alec broke the kiss. 

"Hi," Alec said with a smile. Magnus noticed that Alec was wearing his normal sweater and jeans, and he already smelled of soap. 

"Rough day?" Magnus asked. 

"Yeah, how'd you know that?" 

"You showered at the institute, so you must've gotten covered in blood or demon ichor." 

Alec nodded, "So, what did you need to tell me?" 

Magnus looked down, "Well, um..." he trailed off. 

Alec began to look worried, "What is it, Magnus? Are you okay?" 

"Alec, I'm... pregnant." Magnus' voice was practically a whisper. 

"By the Angel, Magnus, seriously?!" Alec's voice turned from shock to joy in less than a second. His hands moved to touch Magnus' stomach in disbelief. 

"Yes, seriously. I had Catarina come over and check me out yesterday." Magnus smiled. 

Alec smiled back at him before kissing his stomach. Then a thought dawned on him, "Is this what you tried to tell me this morning?" Magnus nodded. "Oh, Mags, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." Alec leaned in to kiss Magnus on the lips, then the cheek, and down to his neck. 

"It's fine. You're a Shadowhunter. Without you doing your job, people everyone would be killed and New York would be overrun with demons and monsters." Magnus reached and grasped Alec's hand.

For the next few weeks, Magnus was Alec's only focus. He never wanted to leave Magnus alone. Unfortunately, Alec had to go to the institute. If he didn't, everyone would ask where he was, and he'd have to tell them about Magnus. Neither wanted to risk the Clave finding out about the unborn child and then trying to get involved. 

 "Please don't tell anyone, yet. We can't risk it," Magnus asked as he walked Alec to the door.

"Not even Jace? Jace will know before I tell him." 

"Of course, you have to have a parabatai," Magnus joked. "If he finds out, fine, but don't outright tell him."

"Fine." Alec playfully rolled his eyes before giving Magnus a goodbye kiss.  

Then one day, not very long after Magnus reached his second month, something felt very wrong. There was a sharp pain in his lower back and stomach. He doubled over slightly as the pain become more harsh. "Alec!" he screamed. Luckily Alec hadn't been called for a mission that morning. The Shadowhunter came running to Magnus. 

"What's wrong?" Alec asked, his voice and eyes were clouded over with worry and deep concern. 

"I don't know. It hurts," was all Magnus could manage. Alec helped him lay down on the couch. "Please, use my phone and call Catarina." Magnus held out the phone to him.

Alec nodded and took the phone from Magnus. He quickly found Catarina's name in the contacts and made the call. "Catarina, it's Alec. Magnus, something's wrong and we really need your help," Alec quickly said. There was obvious worry in his tone. He paused for a few seconds before saying, "Thanks and goodbye." He turned to Magnus, "She's going to portal in any second." 

Just as promised, Catarina arrived mere seconds after the phone call. After preforming a few tests she learned about from working at the hospital, she gave Magnus and Alec the news. "I'm so sorry, guys, but you lost the baby." Her voice was grim and serious. Magnus only had to look up at Alec to make Alec burst into tears. Magnus reached over and took Alec's hand in his own. Tears slowly made their way down his cheek too. 

"Thank you Catarina, we greatly appreciate you. Would you mind showing yourself out so that Alec and I could have some time to take this all in?" Magnus' voice was choked with tears. Catarina took his hand and squeezed it  before apologizing again and leaving the apartment.

"I'll check on you later," She said just before walking outside. Magnus didn't verbally answer, but she saw him give her a quick nod. 

After she was gone, Alec took Magnus into his arms and they held each other. "We're going to be okay," Magnus said. 

"There's nothing I've wanted more than to have a family with you, Mags. We were so close." 

"I know Alexander, but it didn't work out. We both are going to be upset for a while, but it's going to be okay eventually.  Now we know I can have children, so we can try again when we're ready." 

"You're so calm about this." 

"Outside, yes, but I'm just as upset as you are. I've lived a long time, so I know how this goes." 

Alec gave Magnus a small smile through his tears, "What would I ever do without you and your wisdom?" 

Magnus gave him a similar smile back. He wiped a few tears off his cheeks, smearing his makeup in the process. He leaned in and kissed Alec's lips. "We'll get through this together, like we always do," he said after breaking the kiss. They were both silent for a couple seconds before Magnus softly said, "Remember: aku cinta kamu." 

"I love you more," Alec whispered back.