First

Alec couldn't help but stare at Magnus from across the room. The warlock was at the institute, helping the shadowhunters track a demon.

"Go over there and talk to him," Izzy said, nudging her brother.

Alec looked at her and blushed, "What do you mean?"

Izzy rolled her eyes, "I'm not stupid. You're practically drooling over Magnus right now. There's some serious heart eye action going on between you two, too."

Alec blushed more, "There's absolutely no way in hell I would ever like Magnus Bane," he stuttered.

"Mmmhmmm," Izzy said sarcastically. "So you wouldn't mind if I went over there and asked him to stop staring at you when you're not looking?"

"He stares at me?" Alec couldn't hide his excitement, and by the time he realized what Izzy did, it was too late."

"Alec, seriously, go talk to him. He's just about as much in love with you as you are with him," Izzy said, giving Alec a shove towards Magnus.

Alec shyly walked up to Magnus, "Um, hi," Alec said.

Magnus turned around and smiled brightly, "Hello, Alexander, right?"

"Alec, yes."

"I think I prefer Alexander. It sounds more masculine and kinda sexy," Magnus smirked.

Alec giggled and blushed, "Do you want to get a drink or something?"

Magnus smiled, "Of course I would. Would you like to come over to mine around... 7?"

"Yeah, sounds like a plan."

*****

Alec arrived at Magnus' at exactly 7 o' clock. He rang the doorbell and Magnus opened the door for him. He was wearing a pair of tight fitting pants, a black and white dress shirt with the top three buttons undone with a black jacket thrown over.

"Hello, Alexander," Magnus said.

"Hi..." Alec said breathlessly, unable to take his eyes off Magnus.

"Come on in." Magnus held the door for Alec, then guided him to the living room. "Wine?" Magnus asked, Alec nodded.

Alec took a sip of his wine as he sat down and tried to hide his grimace.

"Your parents are the heads of the institute, right?"

Alec nodded, "Yes, they are."

"So that means that someday you'll be the head."

"Yes, I will be, and when that day comes, I plan to change a few things my parents have done."

Magnus smiled, "What big plans do you have, Mr. Lightwood?"

"Well, first of all, I want the downworlders and the shadowhunters to work together, and not fight constantly. I understand that sometimes someone can end up hurting people or have wrong intentions, but not every downworlder is like that, some of them are incredibly helpful and don't deserve to be treated like they are."

"Thank you, Alexander. Finally someone understands that we aren't all bad."

Alec smiled, "I understand that my parents feel the way they do, it's how they were raised, but they're wrong."

"Well, here's to you making the institute a better place." Magnus raised his glass toward Alec. Alec touched his glass to Magnus' and they both took a drink, Alec trying again not to grimace.

Magnus giggled, "Alexander, would you like some water to drink instead?"

"No, no, wine is fine. It's great, in fact."

"I can see you making faces. You don't like it."

Alec blushed in embarrassment, "Yes, water would be nice."

"How is life as a shadowhunter?" Magnus suddenly asked.

"Now it's great, I wouldn't ever change it, but it can be hard growing up."

"Why?"

"I lived in the institute, and I didn't even know anyone outside of the institute. There wasn't anytime to make friends or go out on dates, or meet other people. I felt like I was constantly learning and training."

"Alexander, is this your first date?"

"It is, yeah."

Alec and Magnus spent the next hour and half talking about whatever came to mind; Magnus laughing and smiling and Alec mostly blushing.

"I should go, my mom will be wondering where I am."

"You didn't tell her you had a date with me?"

Alec laughed, "Hell no, she'd be pissed."

"I understand, maybe someday she will to."

"I hope so."

"I had fun, though," Magnus said.

"I did too," Alec replied.

"Would you like to do it again sometime?"

Alec nodded, "Definitely."

"You said this is your first date, does that mean you've never had a first kiss?"

Alec blushed for what seemed like the thousandth time that night, "No, I haven't." He felt like Magnus was reading his mind. Why would he ask that? He must know I want to kiss him. Maybe he wants to kiss me.

"Someone's first kiss is always special to them. It's something they never forget," Magnus said.

Alec didn't even realize he was leaning in until his lips were practically on Magnus'. He felt their lips touch. Alec didn't have any idea what he was doing, but when they parted, Magnus was smiling. Alec took that as a good sign. 

"You wanted me to be your first kiss?" Magnus asked. 

"I want you to be many of my firsts," Alec said back. "I'll call you, and we can set up our next date."

"Great," Magnus said. He was still smiling; he couldn't stop smiling. 

Alec left Magnus alone in the apartment. As he shut the door behind the shadowhunter, he realized something. This one felt different. It was like Magnus was been woken up after a very long time. He could still feel Alec's lips on his own. It's only been one date, but he already knew that he wanted Alec to be around for as long as possible.