Tune into That Frequency

Toby left with out sharing another word with you. You preferred it that way. If he stayed and talked to you, who knows what would have been said that wasn't meant to be said in that moment- or at all. If a fight would start or if the word vomit would come up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Toby enters the cabin angrily, slamming the door. He goes to the lounge area and throws himself onto the small sofa they had and just stares into the tiny fireplace they had running. It was the only thing making sound crackling through the silent darkness before he barged home. His quiet thoughts were interrupted by some soft footsteps coming from the hall.

"Toby? Is that you?" asks Brian. Toby slouches lower into his seat.

"Yes," he calls out.

"You're back kind of soon..." says Brian. Toby rolls his eyes and flips his shaggy bangs from his face.

"Ok?"

"Did you get a chance to see her yet?" Brian asks. Toby takes a deep breath and rubs the back of his neck.

"Why?"

"Well, she hasn't been doing well... And-"

"Yeah no shit. It's obvious." Toby cuts him off.

"So she told you?" 

"That she's dying? Yeah." Toby keeps his gaze at the fire. Brian still only keeping his view at the back of Toby's head.

"Did she tell you any other news?" Brain spoke softly and slowly as if he was trying to walk on egg shells with Toby. 

"Nope. She basically told me to 'fuck off'. So I did. I left. Now I'm here. And while I have you here," Says Toby as he turns around to face Brian and rests his arm on the back of the sofa,

"What were you doing with her?" He spat.

"Toby, don't you even go there with me. You left Tim to do your job knowing damn well he can't care less about her. Or you for that matter. How would she feel safe or cared for with him? I'm surprised he even told you he would, and that he was willing! "

Toby tenses up and turns away again.

"Whatever, you're back now. Take more responsibly and own up to this mess you made. Don't go around pointing fingers at the rest of us because you can't help but fall."

Toby stays silent. 

"Go see her again. I'm going to bed." Brian says as he turns away.

"Brian, you have no idea the turmoil I'm feeling right now." Says Toby. 

"Nope. And I'm glad I don't."

"Brian, I do care about her. I wish I could keep her safe myself. I wish I could have her around all the time. But I also know that it's best if she goes back to her old life."

"Well ain't it too late for that now?" Brian asks sarcastically. 

"I know. I know... I'm sorry. I really really fucked up this time didn't I?"

"Pft- man I can't say I care about it myself. And I don't mean to sound cheesy ass corny but, Bro I ain't the one you should be apologizing to. You need to go and talk to her. This should be between you and her. You fucked up today by leaving her especially in the state you left her in."

Toby stays quiet and nods. He knows Brain is right. Brian heads off to bed and leaves Toby with his thoughts.

The fire still crackling throughout the still, silent and cold night.