16th Strike

//Tora

"Damn it. I should've known." I tried to open my eyes but they're too heavy. I feel my world spinning even with my eyes closed.

I heard myself grunt and I felt cold hands press against my forehead.

"You moron should have rested. I'm guessing you didn't even notice you were sick."

"Thank you..." I hope I managed to say that out loud before I passed out again.

//Misaki

Tora's lying on the bed now. His fever has gone down a bit but he might still need more rest.

As I was changing the warm towel on his forehead, he held my hand and rasped out a 'thank you'.

My heart felt the warmth in his words and the way he held my hand just feels so right. I'll hold it for a minute more then I'll let go.

____

I woke up and it's morning. I fell asleep on the small couch I placed beside the bed. My hands are still holding Tora's. He's asleep and right now, in this tiny morning light shining behind him, he looks so fragile and angelic.

I really hope he stops pretending to be a bad guy. Sure, he's a trickster but he's not a bad person.

"Just how are you causing these mix emotions in me?"

I pulled my hand back with ease. He wasn't even holding on to me, yet I didn't let go. I need to stop. I'm just easily confused because I'm lonely.

I checked my phone once again and tried to find any hidden message Usui has left for me but all of our memories has been cleaned away. Only one picture with a trace of him remains. The one where Tora played the piano for me. He was behind us when he took the photo but his reflection on the piano cover was very clear; it was so clear, I can see him smiling sadly.

Is this what you want, Usui? Me with Tora? Are you giving up on me? On us?

I refuse to give you up so easily. You've been through a lot because of me. I won't give you up that easily.

"What time is it?" Tora mumbled softly. He covered his eyes with his arm and pursed his lips.

"It's half past 6 am. Sleep some more," I adjusted his covers until it is up to his shoulders. He couldn't even stay awake enough for a response.

It's still early, I should get a bit more sleep, too, so I slowly made my way to the huge couch just a few feet away. I was so tired, I couldn't even bother to look for a blanket but somehow I woke up hours later in bed.

---
A/N: I don't even have words to say how ashamed I am to update this. I made too many promises and broke it all. I'm not making more promises but I really want to finish this story. I'm sorry for being inconsistent and for updating too short. It's hard to write when you have no motivation. I'm hoping I find it soon and manage to maintain it.

Please stay safe in this pandemic.