25th Strike

//Tora

I was just calming down when I heard a ruckus that seems to be coming on the living room of this suite.

I hurried outside only to see Usui dodging Misaki's punches. His eyes darted to my direction for a bit and he gave me a sheepish smile. That's new. Usui usually just smirks at me like he already won.

I realised I like arrogant Usui more than this very resigned and humbled one.

I grabbed Misaki and held her back. Her hits still would hurt even someone as physically agile as Usui.

Misaki craned her neck to look at me and all I can see is her tears. I caged her to me with one hand and brushed the tears away with the other. She leaned into me as if all her strength just suddenly faded.

"Usui? Why are you here. Your wedding's starting in a few hours."

"I know," he sighed. I've never seen him this dejected. "I know I made the decision to leave Misaki but when I saw you two earlier... I..." He didn't need to finish his sentence. His tears explained it all.

"What's your plan?"

"I'm gonna make a deal with grandfather. I'm confident he'll think about it."

"What deal?"

"I'm gonna be living with them but I'm choosing my wife. I'll follow their wishes. I'll be the heir. I'll do it all if I can just be with Misaki."

With that, I felt Misaki stiffen. I tightened my hand around her waist just in case but she didn't seem to be going on a rampage again.

"Why..." She finally looked up and I don't know what kind of emotion she's showing to make Usui's tears stop. "Why just now? Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you ask for my help?! Why did you just decide what to do with our relationship?! WHY DID YOU JUST LEAVE?! I... I've been in agony since you left. You didn't even give me an excuse. You just said goodbye but you didn't even give me a chance to say it back. You're so unfair. I was in love with you!"

I felt like the world came to a stop.

Did she just say it in past tense?

Usui and I locked eyes for a moment but it seemed we're both confused and scared of what Misaki said.

"You didn't respect me, Usui. You didn't trust me. You decided to do things all on your own again without asking for my opinion! You disregarded me! You... You," she managed to get away from my hold and she held onto Usui's collar when she said, "You ruined me."

Despite all the pain in her voice, she still went to hug Usui while she cried.

I think my role here is done. I've successfully delivered Misaki to Usui before the wedding.

The date was a good idea. My confession was a good idea. This was a good idea.

Well done, Tora. You just had your first heartbreak and it's all because you were too scared.

You rocked the boat a bit too late and now you're drowning.